The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Classic Unix workstation GUIs
@ 2012-08-28 13:17 Berny G
From: Berny G @ 2012-08-28 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Open Look, Motif, NextStep.
Dare I say it but I also enjoyed OS/2 Workplace.

* [TUHS] Classic Unix workstation GUIs
@ 2012-08-21 13:46 William von Hagen
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: William von Hagen @ 2012-08-21 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Though Apollos were much more Unix-like than actual Unix, the DM
environment (display manager?) on Apollo Aegis,  Domain/IX, and
Domain/OS workstations was pretty interesting, most notably for the
sophisticated interaction between the command-line and GUI. The DM was a
lot like the Moxie carbonated beverage - you either liked it or you
really wanted to spit it out. Apollo systems also ran various versions
of the X Window system, but the unique stuff was in the DM.

Site such as Toastytech's GUI Timeline
(http://toastytech.com/guis/guitimeline.html) and Typewritten Software's
Retrotechnology Media page (http://www.typewritten.org/Media/) have many
screen shots of old GUIs and apps, many on Unix or Unix-like systems.

  Bill

* [TUHS] Classic Unix workstation GUIs
@ 2012-08-20  2:40 Michael Kerpan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Kerpan @ 2012-08-20  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

The recent FOSS release of CDE has got me thinking of other Unix GUIs
from the "golden age" of workstation Unix. Obviously, stuff like
SunView and OpenWindows from Sun and 4DWM/Indigo Desktop from SGI are
pretty well known, but I've always wondered what else was out there.So
far, I've come across Looking Glass, DECWindows and HP VUE. Is there
anything else of any importance/interest out there?

Mike