The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Bakul Shah <bakul@iitbombay.org>
To: TUHS@tuhs.org
Subject: Re: [TUHS] The 2038 bug...
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 11:18:02 -0800	[thread overview]

2038 is closer than 2000 was to the present time and will be upon us
before we are ready for it! I suspect people will still be running 32 bit
systems in all sorts of places and running the Unix equivalent of “dusty
decks” for critical systems. May be even in emulation mode! Who’d
want to fund rewrites of large software monoliths?

I imagine I will still be playing with this ultimate toy of computing in 2038,
if I am able! Still writing new programs for fun along with everything else!
People will still be writing “make” replacements, inventing new programming
languages that won’t be much of an improvement over the present lot, and
arguing over the same old things. Assuming we haven’t crossed the AI singularity.
Which I doubt.