The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] UNIX System Internals
@ 2019-04-20 19:00 Jon Steinhart
From: Jon Steinhart @ 2019-04-20 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Don't know if this is of interest to anybody out there, but I was
just looking for something else in the basement and came across
two notebooks that look like a UNIX System Internals course.  Appears
to cover version 6, version 7, PWB, 32V, System III, and System V.
Has the Western Electric seal of disapproval on the front.

Jon

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX System Internals
@ 2019-04-20 19:17 ` Robert Swierczek
From: Robert Swierczek @ 2019-04-20 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Steinhart; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Yes indeed, I am interested!

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX System Internals
@ 2019-04-20 19:27   ` William Pechter
From: William Pechter @ 2019-04-20 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Swierczek; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Perhaps Warren can archive it.  If the copyright issues could be handled, I
would kill for a copy...

@ 2019-04-20 19:31     ` Jon Steinhart
From: Jon Steinhart @ 2019-04-20 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

William Pechter writes:
> Perhaps Warren can archive it.  If the copyright issues could be handled, I
> would kill for a copy...

OK, well, how do we make this happen?  I'm up in the boonies in Oregon,
don't have an easy way to scan something that big.  I will be in the
bay area next week, and will see Clem and might be able to get him to
haul it back east if that would help.

Funny thing is that I'm not sure that I've ever even looked at the thing.
It's in mint conditions.  Don't have any idea where it came from, maybe
someone else gave me a copy.

@ 2019-04-20 21:02 ` John Blecker
From: John Blecker @ 2019-04-20 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Steinhart; +Cc: tuhs

Hi,

I'm interested too.

Thanx a lot in advance.

- M
> Don't know if this is of interest to anybody out there, but I was
> just looking for something else in the basement and came across
> two notebooks that look like a UNIX System Internals course.  Appears
> to cover version 6, version 7, PWB, 32V, System III, and System V.
> Has the Western Electric seal of disapproval on the front.
>
> Jon

---

Take your mailboxes with you. Free, fast and secure Mail &amp; Cloud: https://www.eclipso.eu - Time to change!

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX System Internals
@ 2019-04-20 21:18       ` Grant Taylor via TUHS
From: Grant Taylor via TUHS @ 2019-04-20 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 4/20/19 1:31 PM, Jon Steinhart wrote:
> OK, well, how do we make this happen?

I'm guessing we're talking about something like 3" binders with loos
leaf in them?

How much would it cost to ship (with tracking and desired insurance) it
to someone who could scan it and return it to you?

I'll raise my hand and toss $10 to group shipping fund.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX System Internals
@ 2019-04-20 22:18         ` Robert Swierczek
From: Robert Swierczek @ 2019-04-20 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Taylor; +Cc: TUHS main list

I'm happy to volunteer to scan and return them.  I have a few other
UNIX related things I need to scan as well.

I will be at the Vintage Computer Festival East the first weekend of
May.  If there is an interest in meeting up, I can set up a scanning
party in a nearby hotel suite, bring hardware, folding tables, chairs,
etc..

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX System Internals
@ 2019-04-21  2:18     ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2019-04-21  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Steinhart; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 03:53:07PM -0700, Jon Steinhart wrote:

> This is two 3" binders of 8 1/2 x 11 paper.  It's in really good shape and
> should be easy to scan.  I live in the boonies outside of Portland, Oregon.

If all else fails, I have a document-feed scanner and I live in the
boonies in Washington state, so I can come and get them, scan them, and
return them.  I've been looking for an excuse to ride the Columbia River
Gorge anyway.

khm

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX System Internals
@ 2019-04-21  1:07       ` Grant Taylor via TUHS
From: Grant Taylor via TUHS @ 2019-04-21  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 4/20/19 4:56 PM, Warner Losh wrote:
> Sadly, I'm in Denver CO. But I'll also pay for shipping if other options
> fall through.

I'm in the greater Denver area too.  But I'm not sad about it.  I'm just
sad that I don't have the readily available option to participate in
things and meet more people.

I'll buy a cup of coffee / drink if you're interested.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX System Internals
@ 2019-04-20 22:56     ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2019-04-20 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Steinhart; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 4:53 PM Jon Steinhart <jon@fourwinds.com> wrote:

> OK, let's make some decisions here since everybody wants to see this and is
> willing to help.
>
> This is two 3" binders of 8 1/2 x 11 paper.  It's in really good shape and
> should be easy to scan.  I live in the boonies outside of Portland, Oregon.
> I'm driving to the bay area with stops in San Franciso and Palo Alto on my
> way to the Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop.  The binders are already in my
> car so I don't forget them.
>
> So, should these stay on the west coast or head east?  If east, Clem will
> be at the workshop and it sounds like he's willing to take them back with
> him.  If someone out west is able to scan them, I'll drop them off when
> I'm passing through.
>
> Don't all fight over it, just figure out who's gonna do it and I'll get
> them
> there.

Sadly, I'm in Denver CO. But I'll also pay for shipping if other options
fall through.

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX System Internals
@ 2019-04-20 22:53   ` Jon Steinhart
From: Jon Steinhart @ 2019-04-20 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2019-04-20 22:47 ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2019-04-20 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 4:43 PM Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

>     > From: Jon Steinhart
>
>     > OK, well, how do we make this happen?
>
> Is it bound or un-bound, and if the former, are you OK with unbinding it?
>
> If the former, and 'no', we either need to rope in someone with one of
> those
> special rigs for scanning books, or do it by hand.
>
> If not, I have an auto-feed scanner, and volunteer to do it. How large are
> the pages?

I have a sheet-feed scanner that can do hundreds of pages an hour and would
be willing to get the docs, scan then in, proof read them to make sure the
scan was good, and then return the original. I'd be uncomfortable
unbinding...

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX System Internals
@ 2019-04-20 22:42 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2019-04-20 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Jon Steinhart

    > OK, well, how do we make this happen?

Is it bound or un-bound, and if the former, are you OK with unbinding it?

If the former, and 'no', we either need to rope in someone with one of those
special rigs for scanning books, or do it by hand.

If not, I have an auto-feed scanner, and volunteer to do it. How large are
the pages?

    Noel

* [TUHS] UNIX System Internals
@ 2019-04-20 20:20 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2019-04-20 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I'd love to see this stuff.  Were I not so far away I'd offer
to scan them for you, but it shouldn't be hard to find someone
who can in the Bay Area.  (Attention USENIX Association, I
approve use of my membership dues to support this!)

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON