On 11/7/2018 10:52 AM, ron minnich wrote: > On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 3:38 AM wrote: > >> I'm not sure what you're asking. When DNS came along, it became >> a matter of editing /etc/nsswitch.conf to include dns as one of the >> options along with files and yp/nis. > This does not align with my memory at all. I was at udel until 1988 > and we started dealing with dns ca. 1986, and the shared library stuff > I dealt with in sunos came later. I first saw nsswitch.conf on Solaris. And lo-and-behold: "Sun Microsystems first developed NSS for their Solaris operating system, but subsequently programmers ported it to many other operating systems including FreeBSD , NetBSD , Linux , HP-UX , IRIX and AIX ." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_Service_Switch How true that is, I'd love to know. art k.