The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] early Unix papers, from Jim Joyce
@ 2022-11-02  3:46 Rich Morin
From: Rich Morin @ 2022-11-02  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS

Some of you may recall my friend Jim Joyce, who was an early proponent of Unix.  IIRC, he taught the first course on Unix at UCB.  Later on, he started and ran mail-order bookstores and seminars specializing in Unix-related topics, helped to found Unix Review, etc.

In any event, I have about a cubic foot of early Unix papers, saved from Jim's files after his death.  It's quite likely that all of these papers are already available in collections, but I'd like to make sure that any exceptions don't get lost.  Also, the printed copies may have some independent historical merit.  Suggestions?

-r

* [TUHS] Re: early Unix papers, from Jim Joyce
@ 2022-11-02  6:07 ` Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2022-11-02  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Rich Morin

    > Suggestions?

Step #0: make a list of what's there, and post it here. That's crucial input
to any recommendation.

   Noel

* [TUHS] Re: early Unix papers, from jim Joyce
@ 2022-11-02  7:32   ` Michael Kjörling
From: Michael Kjörling @ 2022-11-02  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 2 Nov 2022 02:07 -0400, from jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa):
>> Suggestions?
>
> Step #0: make a list of what's there, and post it here. That's crucial input
> to any recommendation.

Agreed.

Also, step #1: Before sending them off somewhere or tossing them,
consider whether some place like the Computer History Museum might be
interested in them.

--
🪶 Michael Kjörling                  🏡 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”

* [TUHS] Re: early Unix papers, from Jim Joyce
@ 2022-11-02 15:32   ` Grant Taylor via TUHS
From: Grant Taylor via TUHS @ 2022-11-02 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 11/2/22 12:07 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> Step #0: make a list of what's there, and post it here. That's crucial input
> to any recommendation.

If at all possible, include the date and venue associated with the items.

I've found a few different papers by the same title that have been
different based on date and / or venue.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* [TUHS] Re: early Unix papers, from Jim Joyce
@ 2022-11-06 23:56     ` Rich Morin
From: Rich Morin @ 2022-11-06 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS

I'd like to begin by thanking folks for their suggestions.  I'd also like to express my awe and appreciation for Nelson Beebe's bibliographic work.  That said, I am not now (and will likely never be) in a position to do anything similar for the documents in question, let alone scan and OCR them, etc.  If someone wants to take on such a project, please let me know.

However, as a small step along the way, I opened up the box and produced a rough list of the contents (see below).  When I noticed version or date information, I noted it, but many of the documents are missing that sort of thing.  So, YMMV.

It appears that most of the items are copies of Unix Version 7 documents, printed at UC Berkeley (UCB).  Some of the rest are a mix of photocopied articles from magazines (e.g., BSTJ, BYTE, Comm. ACM, Software--Practice and Experience).  I assume that most of this content is readily available, but some may not be.  In any case, the bibliographic info might be useful.

Finally, there are assorted documents that were edited or produced at UCB.  Some of these (especially the ones marked DRAFT) may be of historical interest.  Anyway, please let me know if any of this sounds like it might be worth passing along...

-r

P.S.  Careful Reader may notice a strong emphasis on text processing in this collection.  Jim's research interests included the use of computers to analyze Middle English poetry.  For example, the rhyme schemes allowed him to clarify the pronunciation of certain words.

# Notes

The documents are currently stored in manilla folders in a cardboard box.
Folders are separated by bars (---) in the List.
Folders are listed below in the order found in the box.

Dates and "UNX x.y.z" notations are transcribed, when available.
These notations appear to relate to UCB's "UNIX Documentation Guide".

# List

"The Programmer's Workbench -- A Machine for Software Development"
Evan L. Ivie
Comm. ACM; October, 1977

---

"Lint, a C Program Checker"
S. C. Johnson
UNX 12.2.3
July 26, 1978

---

"A Tour Through the Portable C Compiler"
S. C. Johnson
UNX 13.2.7

---

"UNIX Programming -- Second Edition"
Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie
UNX 2.2.3
November 12, 1978

---

"Some Applications of Inverted Indexes on the UNIX System"
M. E. Lesk
UNX 12.2.2

---

"Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Programming Language"
Brian W. Kernighan
July 18, 1981

---

"A TROFF Tutorial"
Brian W. Kernighan

---

"RATFOR -- A Preprocessor for a Rational Fortran"
Brian W. Kernighan
UNX 12.2.6

---

"Advanced Editing on UNIX"
Brian W. Kernighan
UNX 3.3.3
October 17, 1980

---

"Nroff / Troff User's Manual"
Joseph F. Ossanna

---

"A Typesetter-independent TROFF"
Brian W. Kernighan

---

"A Tutorial Introduction to the UNIX Text Editor"
B. W. Kernighan

---

"PIC -- A Graphics Language for Typesetting"
"User Manual"
Brian W. Kernighan
Revised Edition; March, 1982

"PIC -- A Graphics Language for Typesetting"
"User Manual"
Brian W. Kernighan

---

"Typesetting Mathematics -- User's Guide (Second Edition)"
Brian W. Kernighan and Lorinda L. Cherry
May 30, 1977

---

"A System for Typesetting Mathematics"
Brian W. Kernighan and Lorinda L. Cherry
Comm. ACM; March, 1975

---

"The PIC Graphics Language"

---

"LEARN -- Computer-Aided Instruction on UNIX (Second Edition)"
Brian W. Kernighan, Michael E. Lesk
UNX 12.2.1
January 30, 1979

---

"UNIX Programming -- Second Edition"
Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie
November 12, 1978

---

"FSCK -- The Unix File System Check Program"
T. J. Kowalski

---

"Typing Documents on UNIX and GCOS: the -ms Macros for Nroff and Troff"
M. E. Lesk
October 8, 1976

"A Revised Version of -ms" (DRAFT)
Bill Tuthill
UNX 4.42
12/6/82

also includes a line printer listing ???

---

"Combining Data Bases: National and Cartographic Files"
Michael E. Lesk
October 26, 1981

---

"Lex - A Lexical Analyzer Generator"
M. E. Lesk and E. Schmidt
UNX 12.2.5

---

SED -- A Non-interactive Text Editor"
Lee E. McMahon
UNX 12.2.8
August 15, 1978

---

"Statistical Text Processing"
L. E. McMahon, L. L. Cherry, and R. Morris
BSTJ Vol. 57, No. 6; July-August, 1978

---

"A Tutorial Introduction to ADB"
J. F. Maranzano, S. R. Bourne
UNX 11.3.1
May 5, 1977

---

"The UNIX (tm) system: making computers easier to use"
Samuel P. Morgan
Bell Laboratories Record; December, 1978

---

"Password Security: A Case History"
Robert Morris, Ken Thompson
UNX 13.2.10
April 3, 1978

---

Uucp Implementation Description
UNX 13.2.9
D. A. Nowitz
UNX 13.2.9
October 31, 1978

---

"C Reference Manual"
Dennis M. Ritchie

---

"The Standard I/O Library"
D. M. Ritchie
E. M. Gould (local editing)
March 27, 1978

---

"Classes: An Abstract Data Type Facility for the C Language"
Bjarne Stroustrup
Bell Labs CSTR No. 84
April 3, 1980
Revised August 14, 1981

---

"A Set of C Classes for Co-routine Style Programming"
Bjarne Stroustrup
Bell Labs CSTR No. 90
November 18, 1980

---

"UNIX Implementation"
K. Thompson
UNX 13.2.4

---

"UNIX Documentation Guide"
Computing Services, UC Berkeley

---

"Berkeley Software for UNIX on the VAX"
"4.1bsd version of May, 1981"

---

"Ex/Edit Command Summary (Version 2.0)"
Computing Services, UC Berkeley
August 29, 1979

---

"-ms Command Summary" (DRAFT 2 May 78)

---

"UNIX Command Summary"
Computer Center, UC Berkeley
January 18, 1978

---

"Ex Reference Manual"
"Version 1.1 -- November, 1977"
William N. Joy
CSD, EECS, USB
November 26, 1977

---

"Experiences with the UNIX Time-sharing System"
John Lions
Software--Practice and Experience, Vol. 9, 702-709 (1979)

---

"Writing Papers with NROFF using -ME"
Eric P. Allman
Electronics Research Laboratory, UCB
May 13, 1978

---

"-ME Reference Manual"
Eric P. Allman
Electronics Research Laboratory, UCB
May 13, 1978

---

"Writing NROFF Terminal Descriptions"
Eric Allman
Britton-Lee, Inc.

---

"Bell's Lettres"
Natalie Angier
Discover; July, 1981

---

"Screen Updating and Cursor Management Optimization: A Library Package"
Kenneth C. R. C. Arnold
CSD, EECS, UCB
4th Berkeley Distribution

---

"Design and Implementation of the Berkeley Virtual Memory Extensions to the UNIX Operating System"
Ozalp Babaoglu, William Joy, Juan Porcar
CSD, EECS, UCB
December 2, 1979

---

"Data Structures Added in the Berkeley Virtual Memory Extensions to the UNIX Operating System"
Ozalp Babaoglu, William Joy
CSD, EECS, UCB
November 23, 1979

---

"UNIX with Satellite Processors"
Amnon B. Barak and Amos Shapir
Software--Practice and Experience, Vol. 10, 383-392 (1980)

---

"Development system interface expedited software design"
Jim Bessemer
Electronics Design; September 2, 1982

---

"LocalNet and UNIX"
K. J. Biba, S. J. Leffler
Sytek, Inc.; June, 1981

---

"Edit: A Tutorial"
Ricki Blau, James Joyce
Computing Services, UCB
UNX 3.3.1
September, 1981

"Edit: A Tutorial"
Ricki Blau, James Joyce
Computing Services Division, Computing Affairs, UCB
January, 1978

"Text Editing with UNIX"

---

"Communicating with UNIX"
Ricki Blau
Computing Services, UCB
UNX 1.3.1
September, 1981

---

"UNIX on a Micro"
Cornelia Boldyreff
SIGSMALL Newsletter, Vol. 7, No. 1; February, 1981

---

"Extending the Interprocess Communication Facility of UNIX for a Distributed Operating System"
Sheng-Yang Chiu
Bolt, Beranek and Newman, Inc.
Revised: 31 July 1981
Request for Comments: DOS-8

---

"DEAFNET: A Distributed Communications Service for the Deaf"
Earl Craighill
SRI International
May, 1980

---

Programmer's Workbench Papers
Second International Conference on Software Engineering
T. A. Dolotta, J. R. Mashey, D. W. Smith, M. H. Bianchi, J. L. Wood
October 13-15, 1976

---

"The Programmer's Workbench"
T. A. Dolotta, R. C. Haight, J. R. Mashey
BSTJ; July-August, 1978

---

"A Comparison of the Programming Languages C and Pascal"
Alan R. Feuer, Narain H. Gehani
ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 14, No. 1; March 1982

---

"A Dual Processor VAX 11/780"
George H. Goble, Michael H. Marsh
School of EE, Purdue
TR-EE 81-31; September, 1981

---

"The UNIX Operating System and the XENIX Standard Operating Environment"
Robert B. Greenberg
BYTE; June, 1981

---

"Growing, Pruning and Climbing Binary Trees with tiny-c"
Les Hancock
Dr. Dobb's Journal No. 36, Vol. 4, Issue 6; June/July 1979

---

"Implementing a tiny interpreter with a CP/M-flavored C"
Les Hancock
Dr. Dobb's Journal No. 41

---

"A Portable File Directory System"
David R. Hanson
Software--Practice and Experience, Vol. 10, 623-634 (1980)

---

"Getting Acquainted with Ex: An Aid for Humanities Users"
A Publication of The Old English Colloquium's Unix Project
A. Hernandez
January 1, 1979

---

"Some Facts and Fallacies about UNIX"
Jim Isaak
FORUM, Computer System News; January 18, 1982

---

"Operating systems confer new degree of sophistication on microprocessors"
R. Colin Johnson
Electronics; March 24, 1981

---

"UNIX - New Avenues in Research and Development"
Robert E. Jones
Hardcopy; February, 1982

---

"An Architecture for Interprocess Communication in UNIX"
William Joy and Robert Fabry
CSRG, EECS, UCB
DRAFT of June 22, 1981

"Proposals for enhancement of UNIX on the VAX"
William Joy and Robert Fabry
CSRG, EECS, UCB
July 21, 1981; Revised August 31, 1981

---

"4.2BSD System Manual"
William Joy, Eric Cooper, Robert Fabry, Samuel Leffler and Kirk McKusick
CSRG, EECS, UCB
Draft of February 14, 1982

---

"An Introduction to Display Editing with Vi"
William Joy
CSRG, EECS, UCB
April 2, 1979

---

"Berkeley Pascal User's Manual"
William N. Joy, Susan L. Graham, Charles B. Haley
CSD, EECS, UCB
Version 1.1 - April, 1979

---

"Installing and Operating 4.1bsd"
William N. Joy
CSRG, EECS, UCB
May 18, 1981

---

"Berkeley Pascal PX Implementation Notes"
Version 1.1 - April, 1979
William N. Joy
CSD, EECS, UCB
March 30, 1979

"Berkeley Pascal PX Implementation Notes"
Version 2.0 - January, 1979
William N. Joy, M. Kirk McKusick
CSD, EECS, UCB
April 9, 1981

---

"Berkeley Pascal PXP Implementation Notes"
Version 1.1 - April, 1979
William N. Joy
CSD, EECS, UCB
April 10, 1981

---

"UNIX Aids for English Composition Courses"
James Joyce
Computing in the Humanities; 1982

---

"PIC -- A Crude Graphics Language for Typesetting"
Brian W. Kernighan
Bell Labs CSTR No. 85
January 24, 1981

also published in:
Software--Practice and Experience, Vol. 12, 1-21 (1982)

---

"Printf for the C Function Library"
Christopher Kern
BTYE; May, 1981

---

"The BDS C Compiler"
Christopher Kern
BYTE; June, 1981

---

"The Unix Programming Environment"
Brian W. Kernighan, John R. Mashey
IEEE Computer; April, 1981

---

"Hints on Configuring VAX Systems for UNIX"
Revised: May 4, 1981
Bob Kridle, Bill Joy
CSRG, UCB

---

"Unix Text Formatting for Beginners"
Gordon P. Leffadinger
Computing Services, UCB
May 10, 1982 (DRAFT)

---

"The UNIX Operating System"
"A Sophisticated and Portable Multiuser Operating System"
Bob Marsh, Grant Munsey, Kip Myers, Craig Forney
Microcomputer Operating Systems, in
Microcomputer Applications, (c) 1981

---

"Data Stream Linkage Mechanism"
J. P. Morrison
IBM Syst J, Vol. 17, No. 4; 1978

---

"Unix-like software runs on mini- and microcomputers"
P. J. Plauger and M. S. Krieger
Electronics; March 24, 1981

---

"An Inter-Process Communication Facility for UNIX"
Richard F. Rashid
CMU-CS-80-124
February 4, 1980
Revised: 11 June 1980

"An Inter-Process Communication Facility for UNIX"
Richard F. Rashid
February 4, 1980
Revised: 2 April 1981

---

"Thoughts on 'An Architecture for Interprocess Communication'
by William Joy and Robert Fabry"
DRAFT -- DO NOT CIRCULATE'
A Personal Commentary
Richard F. Rashid
printed 29-Jul-81

---

"An Introduction to the Berkeley Network"
Eric Schmidt
CSD, EECS, UCB
May, 1979
(revised March, 1980)

---

"The UNIXperience for the Unexpert"
Wurster Computer Center
"The UNIXperience for Unexperts was prepared with the UNIX system by Claire E. Taylor, a real beginner, in the Spring of 1979, for the computer graphics course taught by Aaron Marcus"

---

"LIST -- A Source-Listing Program for the C Language"
Jeff Taylor
BYTE; June, 1981

---

"The -mx Macro Package: A Revised Version of -ms"
Bill Tuthill
Computing Services, UCB (DRAFT)

---

"Literary Text Processing by Computer"
William Tuthill
Comparative literature Dept., UCB

also, man pages for assorted commands in the HUM section:
cedilla, cfreq, dict, dissolve, ...

---

"The Unix Word Processing Facilities"
Vance Vaughan
June 1, 1977

---

"Adapting Unix to a 16-bit microcomputer"
Bruce Weiner and Douglas Swartz
Electronics; March 24, 1981

---

"Productivity Engineering in the UNIX Environment"
EECS & ERL, UCB
This appears to be a grant proposal:
"The proposed contract will be a continuation of contract
N00039-80-K-0649, ARPA Order Number 4031, April 1980 to present."

---

(not in a folder)

"Writing Distributed Programs with Courier"
Eric C. Cooper
CSD, EECS, UCB

"gprof: A Call Graph Execution Profiler"
Susan L. Graham, Peter B. Kessler, Marshall K. McKusick
CSD, EECS, UCB
Proc. ACM SIGPLAN -82 Symp. on Compiler Construction

"VAX/VMS Performance and Configuration"
Hank Levy
Advanced-11 Engineering
August 15, 1978

---

"A Fast File System for UNIX"
DRAFT of September 6, 1982
Marshall Kirk McKusick, William N. Joy, Samuel J. Leffler, Robert S. Fabry
CSRG, CSD, EECS, UCB

"Refer -- A Bibliography System"
Bill Tuthill
Computing Services, UCB
October 1, 1982

"Refer -- A Bibliography System"
Bill Tuthill
Humanities Computing Service, UCB
September 6, 1982

"The Cambridge Ring and UNIX"
R. P. A. Collinson
Software--Practice and Experience, Vol. 12, 583-594 (1982)

"Description of a Menu Creation and Interpretation System"
Michael J. Heffler
Software--Practice and Experience, Vol. 12, 269-281 (1982)

"A Programmable Text Editor"
Christopher W. Fraser
Software--Practice and Experience, Vol. 12, 241-250 (1982)

"The Syntax of Interactive Command Languages: A Framework for Design"
I. Trotter Hardy, Jr.
Software--Practice and Experience, Vol. 12, 67-75 (1982)

"Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Programming Language"
Brian W. Kernighan
CSTR No. 100
July 18, 1981

"A High-Level Approach to Computer Document Formatting"
Brian K. Reid
1980 ACM 0-89791-011-7

"How Users Search:
A Comparison of Menu and Attribute Retrieval Systems on a Library Catalog"
V. J. Geller
M. E. Lesk
Bell Labs
September 27, 1981

"Porting the Unix Operating System"
Robert Erickson, Peter Tom
HHB-SOFTRON
(describes porting of UNIX/v7 to the SIEMENS R30)

---

"A Walk Through AWK"
Leon S. Levy
Bell Labs
SIGPLAN Notices, V18 #12; December, 1983

---

"Setting Up Unix - Seventh Edition"
Charles B. Haley, Dennis M. Ritchie
Bell Labs
UNX 13.2.2

---

"PARTS - A System for Assigning Word Classes to English Text"
L. L. Cherry
Bell Labs, CSTR No. 81

---

"Writing Tools - The STYLE and DICTION Programs
L. L. Cherry, W. Vesterman
February, 1981

"Writing Tools - The STYLE and DICTION Programs
L. L. Cherry, W. Vesterman
November 22, 1980

Letter from Jim Joyce to Lorinda Cherry, inviting her to speak
at the 1983 meeting of the Association for Literary and Linguistic Computing

"The Seybold Report on Word Processing"
Vol. 4, No. 1, January 1981
ISSN: 0160-9572

---

"Route Finding in Street Maps by Computers and People"
R. J. Elliott, M. E. Lesk
Bell Labs

---

"Regenerating System Software"
Charles B. Haley, Dennis M. Ritchie
Bell Labs
UNX 13.2.3

---

"Make - A Program for Maintaining Computer Programs"
S. I. Feldman
Bell Labs

---
---

* [TUHS] Re: early Unix papers, from Jim Joyce
@ 2022-11-07 22:16       ` Grant Taylor via TUHS
From: Grant Taylor via TUHS @ 2022-11-07 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 11/6/22 4:56 PM, Rich Morin wrote:
> However, as a small step along the way, I opened up the box and
> produced a rough list of the contents (see below).  When I noticed
> version or date information, I noted it, but many of the documents
> are missing that sort of thing.  So, YMMV.

Thank you very much for the list.  The provided details and your care to
separate things is appreciated.

> P.S.  Careful Reader may notice a strong emphasis on text processing
> in this collection.  Jim's research interests included the use of
> computers to analyze Middle English poetry.  For example, the rhyme
> schemes allowed him to clarify the pronunciation of certain words.

I noticed that.

I also noticed that I would very much like to spend some (upcoming) cold
winter days with tea reading many of these papers.

I'd be happy to help contribute to get these papers somewhere to be
scanned & shared.  Sadly I don't know how to go about doing the scanning
myself.

I'll contribute at least $10 toward getting these papers somewhere to be
scanned.

My efforts to scan front & back covers of my books doesn't scale to
scanning, much less OCRing, books.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* [TUHS] Re: early Unix papers, from Jim Joyce
@ 2022-11-07 23:12         ` segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2022-11-07 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Taylor; +Cc: tuhs

The following papers stick out to me as papers that haven't surfaced in any of the research I've done (not exhaustive, but what stuck out to me):

The Programmer's Workbench - A Machine for Software Development
    - Is this distinct from the Mashey papers?

Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Programming Language
    - This sounds fun, not hard UNIX info, but fun

A Typesetter-Independent TROFF
    - A ditroff-specific paper?  Can't say I've seen such a thing, would be interested in this one.  I know someone (can't recall name/email) in the GROFF mailing list seemed particularly excited about ditroff information that could be gleaned from the UNIX/TS 4.0 docs, this may be their golden carrot.

PIC - A Graphics Language for Typesetting
    - The list mentions a March 1982 revision.  This would post-date the UNIX/TS 4.0 version, although there is the Research V10 version of the paper.  However, an initial flip through the V10 Volume 2 manual reveals no specific last-modify date.  That would ultimately trace back to https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V8/usr/doc/pic . I can't find the roff sources for V9 or V10 of this paper though, I've just got the physical book for V10.

The PIC Graphics Language
    - Another PIC paper?

FSCK - The Unix File System Check Program
    - This paper shows up in UNIX/TS document sets but not research.  I'd be curious of the specific date on this one, the latest one we have afaik is 1981, UNIX/TS 4.0.

Combining Data Bases: National and Cartographic Files
    - Not explicitly UNIX perhaps? Either way, I like maps, I'd be curious what is going on here

The UNIX System: Making Computers Easier To Use
    - Perhaps a transcript of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvDZLjaCJuw ?

C Reference Manual
    - Curious on the date, there are many revisions scanned

UNIX Documentation Guide
    - BSD "Documentation Roadmap" perhaps?  I have a 4BSD paper compilation from some university in Australia, seems to just be a subset of C and Fortran related papers though, I wonder if there's correlation between this and the intro paper in that set...

The Unix Programming Environment
    - Kernighan and Mashey?  Does this bear any relation to the book authored with Rob Pike?  I feel like I've seen this title in passing but am definitely curious.

A Walk Through AWK
    - Somewhere between the original AWK paper and the AWK book?

PARTS - A System for Assigning Word Classes to English Text
    - Probably the paper underlying descriptions of parts in later WWB literature.

Writing Tools - The STYLE and DICTION Programs
    - Ditto, I'd be curious how much of what became trade-book WWB/DWB documentation started as Bell memoranda and if a full manual could be compiled from just memoranda.

Route Finding in Street Maps by Computers and People
    - More maps work by Bell, didn't know they did stuff in this area

I would absolutely be interested in throwing my hat in the ring on preservation, can pay for shipping to and fro and scanning would be gratis.  That said, if someone expects a certain DPI, OCR, etc. then you can pay someone, I volunteer my resources at the capacity I can volunteer them.

If someone else can do the whole package, I'll also happily donate towards that.

- Matt G.

@ 2022-11-08  6:30           ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2022-11-08  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco, gtaylor; +Cc: tuhs

Hi.

> Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Programming Language
>     - This sounds fun, not hard UNIX info, but fun

It's been around for a long time. A while back, I reconstituted
it, see https://www.github.com/arnoldrobbins/cstr100.

> A Typesetter-Independent TROFF
> - A ditroff-specific paper?  Can't say I've seen such a thing, would
> be interested in this one.  I know someone (can't recall name/email)
> in the GROFF mailing list seemed particularly excited about ditroff
> information that could be gleaned from the UNIX/TS 4.0 docs, this may
> be their golden carrot.

This is also around on the Internet.

If there's interest, I might could wheedle the original out of BWK.

> A Walk Through AWK
>     - Somewhere between the original AWK paper and the AWK book?

I missed this in the original list. I'd love to have a copy of it!

Arnold

* [TUHS] Re: early Unix papers, from Jim Joyce
@ 2022-11-08 16:42           ` G. Branden Robinson
From: G. Branden Robinson @ 2022-11-08 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

At 2022-11-07T23:12:40+0000, segaloco via TUHS wrote:
> The following papers stick out to me as papers that haven't surfaced
> in any of the research I've done (not exhaustive, but what stuck out
> to me):
>
> Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Programming Language
>     - This sounds fun, not hard UNIX info, but fun

The infamous CSTR #100.  :D  It has been in circulation as a while,
though the copy I have has been stripped of its CSTR identifier and the
header margin is suspiciously short for an ms(7) paper.

> A Typesetter-Independent TROFF
>     - A ditroff-specific paper?  Can't say I've seen such a thing,
>     would be interested in this one.

That's CSTR #97, also well-known, albeit not as well known as it should
be by people who regard CSTR #54 (1992 revision) as Torah.  #97 is
surely Taldmudic.

> I know someone (can't recall name/email) in the GROFF mailing list
> seemed particularly excited about ditroff information that could be
> gleaned from the UNIX/TS 4.0 docs, this may be their golden carrot.

That was me.  The golden carrot would be the [nt]roff source from that
release.  Someone pointed me in the direction of McKusick's CSRG CD-ROM
archives for that, but I haven't made the time to chase it down.  I'm
trying to eat my vegetables first and get a groff release out.  We're
closing in on 400 bugs fixed since 1.22.4...

> PIC - A Graphics Language for Typesetting
>     - The list mentions a March 1982 revision.  This would post-date
>     the UNIX/TS 4.0 version, although there is the Research V10
>     version of the paper.  However, an initial flip through the V10
>     Volume 2 manual reveals no specific last-modify date.  That would
>     ultimately trace back to
>     https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V8/usr/doc/pic . I
>     can't find the roff sources for V9 or V10 of this paper though,
>     I've just got the physical book for V10.

I'm envious, if you have both bound volumes of the V10 manuals.

groff's pic.ms document (identifying Eric Raymond as author, although I
believe it understates its debt to the above document, CSTR #116) muses
about a "pre-ditroff" version of pic, but I have never encountered any
evidence that any such thing existed.  The \D drawing command escape
sequences did not exist in Ossanna's troff; see the line 601 switch() in
<https://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V7/usr/src/cmd/troff/n1.c>.

> The PIC Graphics Language
>     - Another PIC paper?

I'm curious to see any variant documentation of pic, particularly its
early versions.

> Writing Tools - The STYLE and DICTION Programs
>     - Ditto, I'd be curious how much of what became trade-book WWB/DWB
>     documentation started as Bell memoranda and if a full manual could
>     be compiled from just memoranda.

I share your interest in WWB-related documents.

In case there's anyone who's not already aware of this, the Internet
Archive has a very nice cache of documents formerly hosted at
cs.bell-labs.com.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080509085821/http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr.html

I find the refer(1) database of _all_ CSTR document numbers to be of
particular interest.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080509085821/http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/bib

Regards,
Branden

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* [TUHS] Re: early Unix papers, from Jim Joyce
@ 2022-11-08 22:56             ` James Frew
From: James Frew @ 2022-11-08 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 2022-11-07 22:30, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:

>> A Walk Through AWK
>>      - Somewhere between the original AWK paper and the AWK book?
> I missed this in the original list. I'd love to have a copy of it!

doi.org/10.1145/988193.988201 <https://doi.org/10.1145/988193.988201>

Enjoy,
/Frew <https://purl.org/frew>

* [TUHS] Re: early Unix papers, from Jim Joyce
@ 2022-11-17 20:42 Rich Morin
From: Rich Morin @ 2022-11-17 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS

Well, I got a lot of interesting responses, but the box of papers is still sitting here.  Is anyone willing to take on the collection?

-r