On 7/3/24 11:45 AM, Clem Cole wrote: > So, the place where a case study for SW projects (using books like Mythical > Man Month) would be helpful is an in-software engineering course.Writing an > HSB style case for something like UNIX, or Tenex or maybe Oracle; > particularly to compared to something like Brook's book would be > fascinating to read, I'm not sure Lion's text qualifies. TENEX is a fascinating story.[1] An internal BBN project with a hardware component, written by maybe half a dozen people.[2] It spread around the country to research institutions kind of like Unix. DEC liked it so much it bought TENEX and hired Dan Murphy away from BBN to turn it into TOPS-20.[3] [1] https://opost.com/tenex/tenex72.txt [2] https://walden-family.com/bbn/10-SYS/ [3] https://opost.com/tenex/hbook.html CWRU was a big DEC-20/TOPS-20 shop, and TOPS-20 was the first OS I used when I started working for the computing center as a student (which evolved into where I work today). I loved TOPS-20. -- ``The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.'' - Chaucer ``Ars longa, vita brevis'' - Hippocrates Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU chet@case.edu http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/