The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net>, tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Quotas - did anyone ever use them?
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 13:59:58 -0700	[thread overview]

On 5/31/19 1:43 PM, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote:
> On 5/31/19 1:07 PM, Pete Wright wrote:
>> An individual user was given something like 1GB by default (here they
>> had their mailbox, source-code, scripts etc), then the show they were
>> booked on was then given an allocation of say 1TB of storage.
>
> It sounds like you are talking about group quotas in addition to each
> individual user's /user/ quota.  Is that correct?  Or was this more an
> imposed file system limit in lieu of group quotas?

it was a mix, $HOME was tied to a specific UID.

for show data we leveraged per-volume quotas.  our directory structure
was setup in such a way that a a path would be a series of symlinks
pointing for specific NFS volumes.  so /shot/sequence/render for example
could reference multiple volumes. /shot/sequence would live on a
separate filer than "render".  we could also move around where "render"
would live and not have to worry about creating orphan paths and such.
this was a common practice to manage hotspots, or for maint windows etc.

the net result was we used a mix of volume quotas that netapp managed in
addition to higher level shot/show quotas which were calculated out of
band by some in-house services.

-pete

--
Pete Wright