The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] Re: New Release of VTserver program
       [not found] <200103282045.GAA92101@minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au>
@ 2001-03-31  3:38 ` Jay Jaeger
From: Jay Jaeger @ 2001-03-31  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, I had mixed success on a PDP-11/24.

First off, a couple of bugs.

In vtserver.c in the code that loads the bootstrap via console odt, the "C"
format strings have "%6o".  These need to be changed to "%6.6o" to make it
work on my 11/24.  Otherwise you get leading spaces.

Also, the code that sends an entire ODT command in one "write()" fails.  I
had to change that (and the one that sends the "G" command) into a loop
where I wrote just one character, and then read back one character that the
11/24 echoed.  Otherwise it just hung.

I suspect both of these changes would fix problems on some machines and
would not harm any others.

So, I got around that, and the standalone loaded.  (Hooray)  But.....

When I tried to use my RK07 as input ( hk(0,0,0) , I got an error:  sc=1
cs2=64 er=40  .  Upon examination,  HKCS1 bit 10 was indeed off (indicating
an RK611 controller) whereas the RK07 bit for the drive at +12(octal) was
set ON.  So, the error itself is not unreasonable.  But....

I looked at the code in hk.c, and tried it manually after resetting the
machine, and the code should be getting the expected drive error when it
first tries to address it as an RK06.  That should cause it to switch to
thinking it is an RK07, but something is going haywire.  And, if I boot a
pack, the boot code correctly figures out that it is an RK07 (when I look
after it reads the boot block off of a garbage pack, Bit 10 in HKCS1 is
indeed on).

So, my guess is that the code in hk.c is busted in some way.

Are there "2.11BSD for dummies under an emulator" instructions somewhere,
so that I could hardwire hk.c to an RK07 temporarily?  Or, perhaps can
someone point me to the physical memory addresses in hk.c so I could just
patch the array to tell it I have 2 RK07's ahead of time, rather than
having it attempt to auto-detect the drive type?

Haaaaaaaaaaaaalp  8~)

Jay Jaeger
---
Jay R. Jaeger					The Computer Collection
cube1 at home.com			visit http://members.home.net/thecomputercollection

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 08:47:28 +0100
To: Jay Jaeger <cube1 at home.com>
Cc: pups-digest at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au
From: Robin Birch <robin@ruffnready.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [pups] Re: New Release of VTserver program
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

In message <4.3.2.7.2.20010330212401.00bb29b0 at cirithi>, Jay Jaeger
<cube1 at home.com> writes
>Well, I had mixed success on a PDP-11/24.
>
>First off, a couple of bugs.
>
>In vtserver.c in the code that loads the bootstrap via console odt, the "C"
>format strings have "%6o".  These need to be changed to "%6.6o" to make it
>work on my 11/24.  Otherwise you get leading spaces.
>
>Also, the code that sends an entire ODT command in one "write()" fails.  I
>had to change that (and the one that sends the "G" command) into a loop
>where I wrote just one character, and then read back one character that the
>11/24 echoed.  Otherwise it just hung.
>
>I suspect both of these changes would fix problems on some machines and
>would not harm any others.
>
>So, I got around that, and the standalone loaded.  (Hooray)  But.....
>
>When I tried to use my RK07 as input ( hk(0,0,0) , I got an error:  sc=1
>cs2=64 er=40  .  Upon examination,  HKCS1 bit 10 was indeed off (indicating
>an RK611 controller) whereas the RK07 bit for the drive at +12(octal) was
>set ON.  So, the error itself is not unreasonable.  But....
>
>I looked at the code in hk.c, and tried it manually after resetting the
>machine, and the code should be getting the expected drive error when it
>first tries to address it as an RK06.  That should cause it to switch to
>thinking it is an RK07, but something is going haywire.  And, if I boot a
>pack, the boot code correctly figures out that it is an RK07 (when I look
>after it reads the boot block off of a garbage pack, Bit 10 in HKCS1 is
>indeed on).
>
>So, my guess is that the code in hk.c is busted in some way.
>
>Are there "2.11BSD for dummies under an emulator" instructions somewhere,
>so that I could hardwire hk.c to an RK07 temporarily?  Or, perhaps can
>someone point me to the physical memory addresses in hk.c so I could just
>patch the array to tell it I have 2 RK07's ahead of time, rather than
>having it attempt to auto-detect the drive type?

Jay,
I don't know how to do this and I suspect that it would be very
difficult (someone PLEASE prove me wrong).  But, if you load it into an
emulator using another type of disk, say, an RP05 or RM05 that the
emulator can support, then you can play with hk.c to your heart's
content.  Then you can run the code out and test it on the PDP.

Cheers

Robin

Robin Birch     robin at ruffnready.co.uk

M1ASU/2E0ARJ/M5ABD     Old computers and radios always welcome

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 09:26:58 -0500 (EST)
From: "Gregory R. Travis" <greg@ciswired.com>
To: classiccmp at classiccmp.org, pups-digest at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au
Subject: [pups] Reformat RA81/82?
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

Can RA81/82 disks be reformatted in the field?  If so, is this
done through XXDP or is there a way to do it from the disk's
serial port?

My RA82 occasionally lights its FAULT light and extinguishes its
ready light during write operations.  The likelyhood of it
faulting appears (but I am not certain) to be correlated with a specific
region of the disk.

About five-ten seconds after the fault, the FAULT indicator turns
off and ready comes back on.  At no time is an I/O error generated
that the application or the operating system (2.11BSD) see
so this fault appears to be transient and is resolved by either
the drive or the drive/controller together.

It "smells" like a data write error that's resolved after a few
automatic retries.  I'm hoping a low-level reformat could clear it
up.  Am I wacked out?

If there's an XXDP exerciser/formatter available I'd appreciate it
if someone could point me there.  It's been nearly twenty years since
the last time I even tried running XXDP

Thanks as always,

greg

p.s.  The RA81 drive on the same controller never gives any
trouble (yet).  I've tried some more basic things like
swapping SDI cables and drive ports but it doesn't make
a difference.

Gregory Travis
Cornerstone Information Systems ATS
greg at ciswired.com
812 330 4361 ext. 18

only message in thread, other threads:[~2001-03-31  3:38 UTC | newest]