The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] UREP
@ 2019-07-09 20:08 Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2019-07-09 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Back in the day I had the pleasure of firing up what was possibly
the last North American BITNET node (certainly the last one on
NetNorth), on a Sun 3/xxx deskside server running SunOS 3.5(+).
(AUCS, at Athabasca U.)

I'm curious to know if the UREP source code that drove that link
ever escaped.  I recall it being licensed code at the time, but
from academia vs. a commercial product.  I don't know if that also
applied to the bisync serial driver.

--lyndon

* Re: [TUHS] UREP
@ 2019-07-10  5:44 ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2019-07-10  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, lyndon

Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:

> Back in the day I had the pleasure of firing up what was possibly
> the last North American BITNET node (certainly the last one on
> NetNorth), on a Sun 3/xxx deskside server running SunOS 3.5(+).
> (AUCS, at Athabasca U.)
>
> I'm curious to know if the UREP source code that drove that link
> ever escaped.  I recall it being licensed code at the time, but
> from academia vs. a commercial product.  I don't know if that also
> applied to the bisync serial driver.
>
> --lyndon

You don't want to see the source code. We ran it at Emory, and I
remember that I had to work with it, and after every dive into the
code, I felt like I needed a shower afterwards.

I don't remember the details, only the strong associated emotions. :-(

Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] UREP
@ 2019-07-10 19:31   ` Adam Thornton
From: Adam Thornton @ 2019-07-10 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)