The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: vasco@icpnet.pl (Andrzej Popielewicz)
Subject: [TUHS] gcc-3.4.6 and old unix
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:50:40 +0200	[thread overview]

Wesley Parish napisał(a):

>djggp relies on a DOS extender to run its 32-bit programs in a 16-bit
>operating environment on a 32-bit machine.  go32 is Delorie's own DOS extender
>- OpenWatcom offers at least two other DOS extenders to pull the same kind of
>trick.

I know that, because I have used djgpp for a quite lot of time.

I thought , that Bill wanted to "scale down" gcc compiler to 16 bit
environment, and probably djgpp could be a good starting point.
I understand , that gcc is not "directly" portable.But because gcc can
create pdp code in cross compile environment, perhaps it is not impossible .

BTW I have just ported Bob Supnik pdp11 emulator to Coherent 4.2.10 and
it seems to work(compile works etc). Coherent being 32 bit for 386
processors has nonetheless 286 support builtin in kernel, so it seems to
be good environment for this simulator (?).
I have the same problem as Bill, I have to kill pdp11 process on another
console to exit.

Andrzej