The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] gcc-.3.4.6 for pdp11
@ 2006-04-29 13:48 Bill Cunningham
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2006-04-29 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Does anyone know how to compile gcc-3.4.6 for the pdp11? I use
the --target=pdp11 switch and the compiler runs for awhile then breaks. The
output says it's bulding for a pdp11-unknown something so there maybe
something I'm not using.

Bill

* [pups] gcc-.3.4.6 for pdp11
@ 2006-04-29 15:08 ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2006-04-29 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!
Bill? What are you building this on? If it's a Linux host, then check
your sources. They are required to provide them. I should also add
that the embedded tool providers should have notes on those steps. Oh
and while your at it, you could show us the complete listing of your
attempts.
---
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
---
"Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

* [pups] gcc-.3.4.6 for pdp11
@ 2006-04-29 15:29 ` Michael Davidson
From: Michael Davidson @ 2006-04-29 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Cunningham wrote:

>    Does anyone know how to compile gcc-3.4.6 for the pdp11? I use
>the --target=pdp11 switch and the compiler runs for awhile then breaks. The
>output says it's bulding for a pdp11-unknown something so there maybe
>something I'm not using.

Building gcc as a cross compiler can be quite challenging.

Dan Kegel has put together a set of scripts which largely automate the
process
and which can be found at http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/

Unfortunately (but not surprisingly) pdp11 is not on of the targets
supported
by crosstool, but you might still find it useful as an illustration of
the kinds of
things that may need to be done.

Michael Davidson

* [pups] gcc-.3.4.6 for pdp11
@ 2006-04-29 16:00   ` Bill Gunshannon
From: Bill Gunshannon @ 2006-04-29 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Before people devote too much effort to flogging a dead horse, I,
too, have recently tried to build a gcc cross-compiler for the
PDP-11 with no success.  I have not seen a version that worked
since GCC 2.something.  It is possible that changes to GCC have
broken the PDP-11 code and that no one is keeping it up.  I would
love to hear otherwise if anyone has successfully built a pdp-11
cross compiler using anything vaguely current.

bill

> Hello!
> Bill? What are you building this on? If it's a Linux host, then check
> your sources. They are required to provide them. I should also add
> that the embedded tool providers should have notes on those steps. Oh
> and while your at it, you could show us the complete listing of your
> attempts.
> ---
> Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
> ---
> "Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

bill at cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |

* [pups] gcc-.3.4.6 for pdp11
@ 2006-05-02 17:40 ` Ian King
From: Ian King @ 2006-05-02 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Cunningham wrote:

>    Does anyone know how to compile gcc-3.4.6 for the pdp11? I use
>the --target=pdp11 switch and the compiler runs for awhile then breaks. The
>output says it's bulding for a pdp11-unknown something so there maybe
>something I'm not using.

[snip]

And there's another issue: *which* PDP11?  I have a MINC-11 that was
upgraded with an 11/23 CPU, as many were.  I managed to get my hands on
the original MINC software, and it would not run.  It's been a while
since I did that so I don't remember the exact instruction on which it
choked (with an illegal instruction trap).  But I dropped in an 11/03
CPU and all ran fine.  I found a helpful matrix in one of the DEC
handbooks that outlines just which instructions were changed between
several of the Qbus processors, anyway.

Imagine the number of compiler switches....  -- Ian

* [pups] gcc-.3.4.6 for pdp11
@ 2006-05-03  2:14     ` Nick Holland
From: Nick Holland @ 2006-05-03  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> Before people devote too much effort to flogging a dead horse, I,
> too, have recently tried to build a gcc cross-compiler for the
> PDP-11 with no success.  I have not seen a version that worked
> since GCC 2.something.  It is possible that changes to GCC have
> broken the PDP-11 code and that no one is keeping it up.  I would
> love to hear otherwise if anyone has successfully built a pdp-11
> cross compiler using anything vaguely current.
>
> bill

The GCC team has dropped a lot of older and "less interesting"
(in their minds) platforms from active support (and made the thing
too slow for anything but modern processors, but that's another
rant).

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#older

What would be wrong with using gcc 2.95 or older?

Nick.

* [pups] gcc-.3.4.6 for pdp11
@ 2006-05-23 17:28     ` Toby Thain
From: Toby Thain @ 2006-05-23 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29-Apr-06, at 12:00 PM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:

> Before people devote too much effort to flogging a dead horse, I,
> too, have recently tried to build a gcc cross-compiler for the
> PDP-11 with no success.  I have not seen a version that worked
> since GCC 2.something.  It is possible that changes to GCC have
> broken the PDP-11 code and that no one is keeping it up.  I would
> love to hear otherwise if anyone has successfully built a pdp-11
> cross compiler using anything vaguely current.

Long ago I saved this post by Michael Gschwind relating to patching
gcc 2.1:
http://groups.google.com/group/vmsnet.pdp-11/msg/4c7df7591ea87dbe

--Toby

> bill
>
>> Hello!
>> Bill? What are you building this on? If it's a Linux host, then check
>> your sources. They are required to provide them. I should also add
>> that the embedded tool providers should have notes on those steps. Oh
>> and while your at it, you could show us the complete listing of your
>> attempts.
>> ---
>> Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
>> ---
>> "Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

* [pups] gcc-.3.4.6 for pdp11
@ 2006-05-24  9:27       ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2006-05-24  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> Before people devote too much effort to flogging a dead horse, I,
> too, have recently tried to build a gcc cross-compiler for the
> PDP-11 with no success.  I have not seen a version that worked
> since GCC 2.something.  It is possible that changes to GCC have
> broken the PDP-11 code and that no one is keeping it up.  I would
> love to hear otherwise if anyone has successfully built a pdp-11
> cross compiler using anything vaguely current.

I may be able to offer help with the PDP-11 target in GCC and/or
binutils.  Email me for details.