The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] User Mode DoS Attacks (was Re: Issues of AUUGN)
       [not found] <mailman.1.1160013601.40099.pups@minnie.tuhs.org>
@ 2006-10-05 13:46 ` Milo Velimirovic
From: Milo Velimirovic @ 2006-10-05 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> But you'd need kernel mode for that; this is a DoS attack (one of the
> first?) launched by a user.

The userland DoS I remember:

main() {
	while(1)
		fork();
}

And in fact I tried it once on the 11/45 I had access to. Not pretty.
It can be made less disastrous by judicious addition of a wait(); call.

--Milo, wondering how contemporary UNIX will deal with such
pathological behavior....

--
Milo Velimirović
University of Wisconsin - La Crosse

* [pups] User Mode DoS Attacks (was Re: Issues of AUUGN)
@ 2006-10-05 14:33   ` Bill Gunshannon
From: Bill Gunshannon @ 2006-10-05 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> But you'd need kernel mode for that; this is a DoS attack (one of the
>> first?) launched by a user.
>
> The userland DoS I remember:
>
> main() {
> 	while(1)
> 		fork();
> }

Typical "Rabbit Program".

> And in fact I tried it once on the 11/45 I had access to. Not pretty.
> It can be made less disastrous by judicious addition of a wait(); call.
>
> --Milo, wondering how contemporary UNIX will deal with such
> pathological behavior....

Not necessarily pathological.  I have students do it all the time
in the early parts of the Operating Systems Course.  The only one
it denies service to on contemorary UNIX is the individual who does
it.  Process limits are by user, not by system.

bill

bill at cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |

* [pups] User Mode DoS Attacks (was Re: Issues of AUUGN)
@ 2006-10-05 14:44     ` Johnny Billquist
From: Johnny Billquist @ 2006-10-05 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Back in those days, there didn't exist any process limits, except for
system wide ones... :-)

Another fun exercise that actually hurts systems today, but didn't hurt
much back then, are programs that allocate a large chunk of memory and
hit on a single address on each page repetedly.

Talk about thrashing the memory system... :-) But on the PDP-11, you
don't use demand paging, nor can you allocate that much memory.

	Johnny

@ 2006-10-05 14:51   ` Tore Sinding Bekkedal
From: Tore Sinding Bekkedal @ 2006-10-05 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

(oops, sent it off-list - sorry, Milo!)

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 08:46 -0500, Milo Velimirovic wrote:
> > But you'd need kernel mode for that; this is a DoS attack (one of the
> > first?) launched by a user.
>
> The userland DoS I remember:
>
> main() {
> 	while(1)
> 		fork();
> }
>
> And in fact I tried it once on the 11/45 I had access to. Not pretty.
> It can be made less disastrous by judicious addition of a wait(); call.
>
> --Milo, wondering how contemporary UNIX will deal with such
> pathological behavior....

Speaking for Linux, quite badly, though there are some patches that
allow you to limit forks per user. There's even a bash version,
":(){ :|:& };:", which will infinitely fork off bash processes. (It
defines a function calling itself in the background, and then
immediately launches it)

The max number of processes is not so much a problem as the fact that
they are all draining the system resources. Besides, one is likely to
run out of memory before one hits the max process number in Linux
anyway.

- Tore Sinding Bekkedal