Christensen-style disruption sounds rather like Gresham's Law ("bad money drives out good"), but I don't think the mechanism is the same: one can hoard old silver coins and sell those at a profit for the silver content, but there's no premium I know of for better technology -- probably because "better technology" seems to imply aesthetics, but newer, "lessor technology" is likely to be much faster while using less energy. On 6/28/22 10:41 AM, Clem Cole wrote: > > > On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 9:15 AM Marc Donner wrote: > > My perception of the debate at the time was that it pitted > proprietary networking (SNA, DECNet, ...) against open networking > (TCP/IP).  The hardware vendors wanted proprietary networking to > lock customers into their equipment, but that dog would not hunt. > > Metcalfe's law: "/value of a network is proportional to the square of > the number of connected users of the system/."The problem with a > walled garden is that it can only grow as large as the walls allow. > > > It was pretty clear that except for the clever encapsulation stuff > that Vint had done with IP, the TCP/IP world was quick and dirty > and quite slapdash.  But it was non-proprietary and that is what > won the race. > > Point taken, but I actually think it is more of a > Christensen-style disruption where the 'lessor technology' outstrips > the more sophisticated one because it finds/creates a new market that > values that new technology for what it is and cares less about the > ways it may be 'lessor.' > > I described this in a talk I did at Asilomar a few years back.  This > is the most important slide: > ColesLaw20190222.png > > ᐧ