What more (well to me) is that interactive Unix was the first commercial unix.... I suspect all versions of it's PDP-11 & VAX stuff is lost forever? Does anyone know why Kodak would have bought them? I suspect they had some imaging stuff going....? On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Derek Peschel wrote: > On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 06:48:46AM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote: >> So when do the official celebrations begin?  What's a good estimate >> of the month and date in 1969 when it all began? > > Interesting question!  And related questions -- When did the current > start of the epoch get chosen?  Were there any false starts or early > changes?  (I seem to recall reading about one change, moving forward > by a year.)  And were there ever any dates in the system that couldn't > be correctly recorded, because the epoch started too late? > > The other question is what the official celebrations should celebrate. > Personally, I'd chip in on a big cake with one candle for each year > that a reasonable amount of UNIX source code was available.  No way was > UNIX ever open source in the modern sense, but it did set a precedent > and things could have been much worse.  When you consider the Bell > System's normal attitude toward proprietary information, the UNIX sources > look even more valuable. > > -- Derek > _______________________________________________ > TUHS mailing list > TUHS at minnie.tuhs.org > https://minnie.tuhs.org/mailman/listinfo/tuhs >