The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Fred Grampp
@ 2021-03-11 21:23 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2021-03-11 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Rob Pike:

  I don't believe the water tower was a one-person job.

====

I agree.  Even if GR Emlin helped, I bet two live people
were involved in painting.

I'm quite sure more than that participated in making the
stencil.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

PS: I have never been on a water tower.

* Re: [TUHS] Fred Grampp
@ 2021-03-11 21:39 ` William Cheswick
From: William Cheswick @ 2021-03-11 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: tuhs

> I agree.  Even if GR Emlin helped, I bet two live people
> were involved in painting.

It may just be a coincidence, but I have some code from Tom Duff that generates an image with AT&T logo-style stripes.

> PS: I have never been on a water tower.

I have.  Dropped parachutes off it with John Venutolo.

ches

* Re: [TUHS] Fred Grampp
@ 2021-03-17  3:46 ` Tomasz Rola
From: Tomasz Rola @ 2021-03-17  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 06:46:42PM -0400, Brian Walden wrote:
[...]
> Which had no information on Topper, but had had this paragraph in it's Singer
> section on page 28 --
>
>     Boys earned money "rushing the growler" at lunchtime at the Singer plant.
>     German workers lowered their covered beer pails, called growlers, on ropes
>     to the boys waiting below. They earned a nickel by filling them with beer
>     at Grampp's saloon on Trumbull St. One of these boys was Thomas Dunn who
>     later became a long term Mayor. In the early 1920s Frederick Grampp went
>     into the hardware business at the corner of Elizabeth Ave. and Reid St.

Wow, what a find, really.

I suppose the move from saloon business onto the hardware business was
caused by Prohibition? Interesting side-effect.

    "Prohibition in the United States was a nationwide constitutional
    ban on the production, importation, transportation, and sale of
    alcoholic beverages from 1920 to 1933."

    [

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States

    ]

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_rola@bigfoot.com             **

* Re: [TUHS] Fred Grampp
@ 2021-03-16 12:47   ` William Cheswick
From: William Cheswick @ 2021-03-16 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: TUHS main list

> On Mar 15, 2021, at 9:12 PM, M Douglas McIlroy <m.douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>
> His father ("Pops") retired to Drayton Island in the St Johns River
> about 60 miles south of Jacksonville.
> Fred often visited him, driving the 19-hour trip in one stint.

Fred was a big fan of opera.  He’d play the Ring going to see his parents.  Said he get there in
2.5 operas.  That’s 400 miles/opera, or maybe 100 MPH.  This is certainly faster than
Doug’s number.  I think Fred said he went 90 MPH, which is totally consistent with his personality.

ches

* Re: [TUHS] Fred Grampp
@ 2021-03-16  1:12 ` M Douglas McIlroy
From: M Douglas McIlroy @ 2021-03-16  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Walden; +Cc: TUHS main list

Serendipitous find! I hadn't realized that Fred had been the third
generation in the hardware store.
His father ("Pops") retired to Drayton Island in the St Johns River
about 60 miles south of Jacksonville.
Fred often visited him, driving the 19-hour trip in one stint.

Doug

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 6:47 PM Brian Walden <tuhs@cuzuco.com> wrote:

> Amazing coincidences. A week prior I was researching Topper Toys
> looking for their old factory ("largest toy factory in the world")
> As there was litte on it's location and it lead me to find out
> in 1961 it took over the old Singer Factory in Elizabeth, NJ.
> So looking up the Singer factory led me to "Elizabeth,
> New Jersey, Then and Now" by Robert J. Baptista
>
> https://ia801304.us.archive.org/11/items/ElizabethNewJerseyThenAndNowSecondEdition2015/ElizabethNewJerseyThenNowThirdEditionApril102018607Pages.pdf
>
> Which had no information on Topper, but had had this paragraph in it's Singer
> section on page 28 --
>
>     Boys earned money "rushing the growler" at lunchtime at the Singer plant.
>     German workers lowered their covered beer pails, called growlers, on ropes
>     to the boys waiting below. They earned a nickel by filling them with beer
>     at Grampp's saloon on Trumbull St. One of these boys was Thomas Dunn who
>     later became a long term Mayor. In the early 1920s Frederick Grampp went
>     into the hardware business at the corner of Elizabeth Ave. and Reid St.
>

> When I read it I thought funny, as I know the name Fred Grampp. But beleived
> just a coincidenental same name. After reading the biography post, I went back
> to the book as it turns out that Fred Grampp is your Fred Grampps's
> grandfather.  You can find more his family and the hardware store and
> Grampp himself on pages 163-164, and 212.
>
> -Brian

* [TUHS] Fred Grampp
@ 2021-03-15 22:46 Brian Walden
From: Brian Walden @ 2021-03-15 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

@ 2021-03-12 13:34   ` William Cheswick
From: William Cheswick @ 2021-03-12 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Fred once told me a brief story about the installation of the new raised-floor computer
room for the alice machine.

He had requested that the floor be wet-mopped before the tiles were installed.  When
the installer informed Fred that they weren’t going to bother, Fred obtained a small
bottle of elemental mercury from his office and showed it to the installer.

The installer had the choice of wet-mapping the floor, or cleaning up a mercury spill
in moon suits. He relented.

* Re: [TUHS] Fred Grampp
@ 2021-03-12 13:30 ` William Cheswick
From: William Cheswick @ 2021-03-12 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: tuhs

> On Mar 11, 2021, at 6:35 PM, Norman Wilson <norman@oclsc.org> wrote:
>
> please lay off the Peter-face pranking for a while.

The pjw icon at the top of stair 8 (made from round magnets from the stockroom) was still
there when last I checked.

* Re: [TUHS] Fred Grampp
@ 2021-03-11 23:42 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2021-03-11 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Wilson; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

https://starkraving.medium.com/what-is-male-idiot-theory-2efa91d69fd4
ᐧ

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 6:36 PM Norman Wilson <norman@oclsc.org> wrote:

> As I remember it, the Facilities folks were so upset about
> someone painting stuff on Their Water Tower that a complaint
> went to Vic Vyssotsky, then Executive Director of Division
> 112 (one step up from Sandy Fraser, who was Director of 1127).
>
> The story was that Vic and/or Sandy told them that there were
> 60 people in the research centre and no way to tell who did it.
>
> Word was then quietly passed to certain people--Vic and Sandy
> in fact knew exactly who--that things were getting out of hand,
> please lay off the Peter-face pranking for a while.
>
> I tried to start a rumour that Vic did the painting, but it
> never took off.  I hope Vic at least heard it.  He'd have
> enjoyed the rumour, surely laughed at the prank while knowing
> he'd have to calm things down, and 20 years earlier might well
> have been involved in something like that.
>
> It was Vic who, on learning I was a cyclist, urged me to try
> cycling on the newly-constructed but not yet open segment of
> interstate highway that ran behind the Labs.  He apparently
> had done so and found it lots of fun.  Alas, I never did.
>
> Norman Wilson
> Toronto ON

* Re: [TUHS] Fred Grampp
@ 2021-03-11 23:35 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2021-03-11 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

@ 2021-03-11 22:00         ` M Douglas McIlroy
From: M Douglas McIlroy @ 2021-03-11 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Pike; +Cc: TUHS main list

A few days later, GR's receipt for paint arrived on my desk for approval.
That was certainly above my pay grade, so upon weighing personalities,
I decided to pass it two levels up the chain of command to Vic Vyssotsky,
who famously returned it with a formal note that he was not authorized to
approve plant improvements. The fact that Ken was in my department
and GR wasn't (nor was Fred) stoked certain suspicions about the makeup
of the water-tower team.

Doug

* Re: [TUHS] Fred Grampp
@ 2021-03-11 21:48 ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2021-03-11 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M Douglas McIlroy; +Cc: tuhs

In the "15 minutes" that I worked in Center 1127, I reported
to Fred. When he interviewed me for the job in his office
the conversation wandered around to the German Enigma machine.

"What a great thing to actually see one some day." I said.

"Oh?" asked Fred, reaching down pulling open the bottom drawer of
his metal desk.

A tug at a fabric covered wooden box, making a sliding, banging noise
on the metal draw as he withdrew it, and plopped it on the disk in
front of me.  Popping open the catches he lifted the lid and there was
the enigmatic enigma in front of me, open for me to touch.

We spent the rest of the interview with him explaining the
the workings of the device. What a pleasure it was.

Brantley

* Re: [TUHS] Fred Grampp
@ 2021-03-11 20:30       ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2021-03-11 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Thompson; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2021-03-11 20:06       ` Anthony Martin
From: Anthony Martin @ 2021-03-11 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Thompson; +Cc: TUHS main list

Ken Thompson <kenbob@gmail.com> once said:
> and lastly, and secret until now, fred
> painted the peter face on the water tower.

At long last!

Earlier hints from research!gerard:

"We do know that the paint itself was vouchered a few days
later as a business expense by Fred Grampp, on behalf of a
pseudo-employee G.R. (Grace) Emlin (login: gremlin), who had
at that time already been entered successfully into most
official databases at Bell Labs, and regularly received mail
at her mailbox at 2C-501 (the Unix room)."

https://spinroot.com/pico/pjw.html

  Anthony

* Re: [TUHS] Fred Grampp
@ 2021-03-11 19:50     ` Ken Thompson