The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Old Unix books
@ 2019-10-07 12:56 David
From: David @ 2019-10-07 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I’ve got a few books I’ve just pulled off the shelf and no longer want/need.
I’m hoping someone will give them a good home.

UNIX System Labs Inc UNIX(r) System V Release 4
	Programmers Guide: System Services and Application Packaging Tools
	Device Driver Interface/Driver-Kernel Interface (DDI/DKI) Reference Manual (2 copies)

AT&T 3B2/3B5/3B15 Computers Assembly Programming Manual

Sun Microsystems Inc (Sun Technical Reports)
	The UNIX System - 1985
	Sun 3 Architecture - 1986

I’m willing to split postage on mailing them wherever. If you are local (San Diego)
I’m willing to meet you wherever for an exchange and a coffee.

	David
(Also posted on the cctalk mailing list)

* Re: [TUHS] Old Unix books
@ 2019-10-07 13:05 ` Jim Capp
From: Jim Capp @ 2019-10-07 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

David,

I’m interested and will give them a good home.  I’m in Pennsylvania, so coffee would not work.  I’m also willing to cover your shipping costs.

Cheers,

Jim

@ 2019-10-07 13:15   ` David
From: David @ 2019-10-07 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Capp
  Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society,
	General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts

These went exceptionally fast.

Timing of the first response was Jim Capp by about 1 minute. So if Jim will send me his physical address off list, I’ll coordinate with him in shipping them.

	David

> On Oct 7, 2019, at 6:05 AM, Jim Capp <jcapp@anteil.com> wrote:
>
> David,
>
> I’m interested and will give them a good home.  I’m in Pennsylvania, so coffee would not work.  I’m also willing to cover your shipping costs.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim
>

>> On Oct 7, 2019, at 8:56 AM, David <david@kdbarto.org> wrote:
>>
>> I’ve got a few books I’ve just pulled off the shelf and no longer want/need.
>> I’m hoping someone will give them a good home.
>>
>> UNIX System Labs Inc UNIX(r) System V Release 4
>>   Programmers Guide: System Services and Application Packaging Tools
>>   Device Driver Interface/Driver-Kernel Interface (DDI/DKI) Reference Manual (2 copies)
>>
>> AT&T 3B2/3B5/3B15 Computers Assembly Programming Manual
>>
>> Sun Microsystems Inc (Sun Technical Reports)
>>   The UNIX System - 1985
>>   Sun 3 Architecture - 1986
>>
>> I’m willing to split postage on mailing them wherever. If you are local (San Diego)
>> I’m willing to meet you wherever for an exchange and a coffee.
>>
>>   David
>> (Also posted on the cctalk mailing list)

* Re: [TUHS] Old Unix books
@ 2019-10-07 17:17     ` Seth J. Morabito
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Seth J. Morabito @ 2019-10-07 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david
  Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society,

David writes:

> These went exceptionally fast.
>
> Timing of the first response was Jim Capp by about 1 minute. So if Jim
> will send me his physical address off list, I’ll coordinate with him
> in shipping them.

All (and especially Jim and David!)

I'm 100% fine with Jim getting these manuals (lord knows I don't have
any more room on my shelves!), but may I ask that the 3B2 manual be
scanned? There is an existing copy of this manual floating around
online, but the copy that was scanned was a proof print, has extensive
markup, and a very poor scan quality. I would love to see a better
version available!

All the best,

-Seth
--
Seth Morabito
Poulsbo, WA, USA

* Re: [TUHS] Old Unix books
@ 2019-10-07 18:34       ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2019-10-07 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I'd also like to ask that the Sun stuff be scanned ... thanks!

On 10/7/2019 1:17 PM, Seth J. Morabito wrote:
> David writes:
>
>> These went exceptionally fast.
>>
>> Timing of the first response was Jim Capp by about 1 minute. So if Jim
>> will send me his physical address off list, I’ll coordinate with him
>> in shipping them.
>
> All (and especially Jim and David!)
>
> I'm 100% fine with Jim getting these manuals (lord knows I don't have
> any more room on my shelves!), but may I ask that the 3B2 manual be
> scanned? There is an existing copy of this manual floating around
> online, but the copy that was scanned was a proof print, has extensive
> markup, and a very poor scan quality. I would love to see a better
> version available!
>
> All the best,
>
> -Seth
> --
> Seth Morabito
> Poulsbo, WA, USA
> web@loomcom.com

* Re: [TUHS] Old Unix books
@ 2019-10-07 18:36       ` alan
From: alan @ 2019-10-07 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Yes.  I was about to ask the same question on scanning.  Would be very
handy to others.

Thanks,

-Alan

On 2019-10-07 13:17, Seth J. Morabito wrote:
> David writes:
>
>> These went exceptionally fast.
>>
>> Timing of the first response was Jim Capp by about 1 minute. So if Jim
>> will send me his physical address off list, I’ll coordinate with him
>> in shipping them.
>

> All (and especially Jim and David!)
>
> I'm 100% fine with Jim getting these manuals (lord knows I don't have
> any more room on my shelves!), but may I ask that the 3B2 manual be
> scanned? There is an existing copy of this manual floating around
> online, but the copy that was scanned was a proof print, has extensive
> markup, and a very poor scan quality. I would love to see a better
> version available!
>
> All the best,
>
> -Seth
> --
> Seth Morabito
> Poulsbo, WA, USA
> web@loomcom.com

* Re: [TUHS] Old Unix books
@ 2019-10-07 19:01         ` Chet Ramey
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Chet Ramey @ 2019-10-07 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Krewat, tuhs

On 10/7/19 2:34 PM, Arthur Krewat wrote:
> I'd also like to ask that the Sun stuff be scanned ... thanks!

https://www.rcsri.org/library/80s/UNIX-A-Sun-Tech-Report.pdf

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet@case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/

* Re: [TUHS] Old Unix books
@ 2019-10-07 21:19       ` David
From: David @ 2019-10-07 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seth J. Morabito
  Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society,
	General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts

I’ll leave it to Jim to see about scanning it (?bitsavers?). I don’t have the equipment or the bandwidth to do it.

	David

> On Oct 7, 2019, at 10:17 AM, Seth J. Morabito <web@loomcom.com> wrote:
>

> David writes:
>
>> These went exceptionally fast.
>>
>> Timing of the first response was Jim Capp by about 1 minute. So if Jim
>> will send me his physical address off list, I’ll coordinate with him
>> in shipping them.
>

> All (and especially Jim and David!)
>
> I'm 100% fine with Jim getting these manuals (lord knows I don't have
> any more room on my shelves!), but may I ask that the 3B2 manual be
> scanned? There is an existing copy of this manual floating around
> online, but the copy that was scanned was a proof print, has extensive
> markup, and a very poor scan quality. I would love to see a better
> version available!
>
> All the best,
>
> -Seth
> --
> Seth Morabito
> Poulsbo, WA, USA
> web@loomcom.com

* Re: [TUHS] Old Unix books
@ 2019-10-07 21:31           ` David
From: David @ 2019-10-07 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chet.ramey; +Cc: TUHS main list

> On Oct 7, 2019, at 12:01 PM, Chet Ramey <chet.ramey@case.edu> wrote:
>
> On 10/7/19 2:34 PM, Arthur Krewat wrote:
>> I'd also like to ask that the Sun stuff be scanned ... thanks!
>
> https://www.rcsri.org/library/80s/UNIX-A-Sun-Tech-Report.pdf
>

> --
> ``The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.'' - Chaucer
> 		 ``Ars longa, vita brevis'' - Hippocrates
> Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet@case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/

Different from the 2 that I’ve got. So If we can get the 2 scanned, all for the better.

	David

* Re: [TUHS] Old Unix books
@ 2019-10-07 22:31           ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2019-10-07 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chet.ramey, tuhs

Thank you! Any chance the Sun-3 tech stuff is online anywhere? I still
have a 3/280 that I might have to resurrect at some point if it dies (it
was running solid last time I turned it on), and any little bit helps.

@ 2019-10-08  0:21             ` Chet Ramey
From: Chet Ramey @ 2019-10-08  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Krewat, tuhs

On 10/7/19 6:31 PM, Arthur Krewat wrote:
> Thank you! Any chance the Sun-3 tech stuff is online anywhere?

I looked briefly but unsuccessfully.

@ 2019-10-08  0:24               ` Earl Baugh
From: Earl Baugh @ 2019-10-08  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chet.ramey; +Cc: TUHS

What do you need? I have a bunch of Sun 3 docs. ( I have a Sun 1/100, Sun 2/120, Sun 3/110 and Sun 4/110 — on of each of the first 4 generations, all working 😀)

Earl

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2019-10-08  0:40                 ` Chet Ramey
From: Chet Ramey @ 2019-10-08  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earl Baugh; +Cc: TUHS

On 10/7/19 8:24 PM, Earl Baugh wrote:
> What do you need? I have a bunch of Sun 3 docs. ( I have a Sun 1/100, Sun 2/120, Sun 3/110 and Sun 4/110 — on of each of the first 4 generations, all working 😀)

I have the sun-3 architecture report; I just looked for the benefit of
the list.

@ 2019-10-08  7:27           ` Andy Kosela
From: Andy Kosela @ 2019-10-08  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chet.ramey; +Cc: tuhs

On Monday, October 7, 2019, Chet Ramey <chet.ramey@case.edu> wrote:

> On 10/7/19 2:34 PM, Arthur Krewat wrote:
> > I'd also like to ask that the Sun stuff be scanned ... thanks!
>
> https://www.rcsri.org/library/80s/UNIX-A-Sun-Tech-Report.pdf

This is pure gold.  Thank you.

--Andy

* Re: [TUHS] Old Unix books
@ 2019-10-08 22:59 ` Jim Capp
From: Jim Capp @ 2019-10-08 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

David,

Did you get my "off list" email about the books?

Cheers,

Jim

@ 2019-10-10 17:51   ` David
From: David @ 2019-10-10 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)