The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] V7 boot tape files
@ 2008-12-11 18:43 Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2008-12-11 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey there,

I have two questions.  First, does anyone have the original files from
the Seventh Edition boot tape?  Second, does simh support tape
operations like writing file markers?  No doubt you can see where I'm
headed with this.  I want to attach the original boot tape and install
the original V7 tape onto simh.

Thanks,
Brantley Coile

* [pups] V7 boot tape files
@ 2008-12-12 15:51 ` Hellwig Geisse
From: Hellwig Geisse @ 2008-12-12 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brantley,

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 13:43 -0500, Brantley Coile wrote:
> I have two questions.  First, does anyone have the original files from
> the Seventh Edition boot tape?  Second, does simh support tape
> operations like writing file markers?  No doubt you can see where I'm
> headed with this.  I want to attach the original boot tape and install
> the original V7 tape onto simh.

some time ago I did exactly what you plan to do.
I used the original V7 tape files from Keith Bostic,
which are hosted by PUPS. I wrote a small program
that converted the distinct files into a single 'tape'
with a format that simh understands. I could then
proceed with the installation of V7 exactly as the
manual says.

The whole package with instructions is available here:
http://homepages.fh-giessen.de/~hg53/pdp11-unix/

Hellwig

* [pups] V7 boot tape files
@ 2008-12-12 16:42 ` Johnny Billquist
From: Johnny Billquist @ 2008-12-12 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brantley Coile skrev:
> Hey there,
>
> I have two questions.  First, does anyone have the original files from
> the Seventh Edition boot tape?  Second, does simh support tape
> operations like writing file markers?  No doubt you can see where I'm
> headed with this.  I want to attach the original boot tape and install
> the original V7 tape onto simh.

I don't have any tapes, but I'm sure someone do.

However, the answer to the second question is: of course. Otherwise it couldn't
emulate a tape.

	Johnny