The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] PDP-11 / vacuum tube interface
@ 2008-12-11 18:16 Fred N. van Kempen
From: Fred N. van Kempen @ 2008-12-11 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was bored, and ported my version of SimH (which is an older
version, but with some stuff ripped out, and other stuff put
in) to my operating system for my ARM-based MCU board.  It
now "acts" like a regular 11/83 when turned on, and will
happily boot Ultrix-11 off the CF card :)

Not as fast as running on a peecee, not half as much fun as
running a real '11, but hey, it DOES fit into my backpack.

--f

* [pups] PDP-11 / vacuum tube interface
@ 2008-12-13  0:49       ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2008-12-13  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!
The term is Trekker, Kevin. And it takes place during the second act of a
very important episode.

But I freely admit that I am interested in this decidedly strange mix of
technology.
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net

On Behalf

@ 2008-12-11 17:14 ` Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2008-12-11 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:09:34 +0100
"Fred N. van Kempen" <fred.van.kempen at microwalt.nl> wrote:

> smiling @ his nano-11 system running Ultrix, all the size of
>       a matchbox..
nano-11? Please elaborate.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen

* [pups] PDP-11 / vacuum tube interface
@ 2008-12-11  0:06       ` Ian King
From: Ian King @ 2008-12-11  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

But only if you have Joan Collins to inspire you.

@ 2008-12-11  0:04     ` Kevin McQuiggin
From: Kevin McQuiggin @ 2008-12-11  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2008-12-10 21:25   ` Bill Gunshannon
From: Bill Gunshannon @ 2008-12-10 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2008-12-10 18:09 Fred N. van Kempen
From: Fred N. van Kempen @ 2008-12-10 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (This has got to be the strangest cross-post I've ever done.)
You've got that right :P

> I do sincerely apologize for
> cross-posting, but I am rather younger than either of these
> technologies (vintage: 1984) and this seems like a monumental
> challenge.
Well, several projects can be thought off in this scenario, but
if you want to keep it mildly useful, try to do something with
audio tubes connected to an '11 (OK, here's a spoiler: "you'll
make a PDP11-driven music player using a tube-based audio
backend"), or such.  You could go into analog computing as
well, but that can be kinda hairy.

This more or less only requires building a usable D/A converter
on the '11, which then interfaces to the tubes.  I'd use a DMA-
based 16-bit DA controller.

Cheers,

Fred (smiling @ his nano-11 system running Ultrix, all the size of
      a matchbox..)

* [pups] PDP-11 / vacuum tube interface
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-12-10  9:22 ` Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2008-12-10  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 17:00:32 -0700
"Ross Tucker" <rjtucke at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anybody know if PDP-11 UNIXes even had the capability for a
> "sound card"?
There are ADC cards for QBus (and most likely UniBUS) PDP-11s...
What about PSK31? QRSS?
--

tschüß,
       Jochen

* [pups] PDP-11 / vacuum tube interface
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-12-10  9:21 ` robinb
From: robinb @ 2008-12-10  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

That's a wonderful idea.  As has been pointed out there are a number of A2D and D2A boards available for the PDP11.  However it would be fun to do it yourself and design one from scratch although getting hold of prototyping boards for unibus or Q bus could be a bit difficult these days.

You would probably have to down convert your RF to audio to keep everything in the realm of what the PDP could handle though something like PSK should be able to be resolved, morse should be a doddle.

Have a go, this is seriously pointless geeky stuff and as a result huge fun.

Robin

rjtucke at gmail.com wrote:
> Dear all,
> (This has got to be the strangest cross-post I've ever done.)
>
> I have just taken a bet from a friend to challenge my geekiness. I was
> telling him about my love of Vintage Technology and he proposed that I
> combine two hitherto separate hobbies and see what happens. The
> topics: the DEC PDP-11 minicomputer (vintage: 1970s) and vacuum-tube
> ham radios (vintage: 1960s). I do sincerely apologize for
> cross-posting, but I am rather younger than either of these
> technologies (vintage: 1984) and this seems like a monumental
> challenge.
>
> My question for y'all: how could I possibly design+build a project
> that uses both of these technologies? My thought is to port some radio
> receiver Digital Signal Processing (DSP) application into PDP-11
> assembler, compile and run it via emulator on my PC, then use it with
> the vacuum-tube regenerative receiver that I built a few years ago...
> Does anybody know if PDP-11 UNIXes even had the capability for a
> "sound card"? Or, to get ambitious, I would LOVE to design some
> interface circuitry between PDP-11 digital circuitry and vacuum-tube
> electronics... The challenges are legion: the tube side of the circuit
> operates around 350V DC levels with radio-frequency (RF) signals at 7
> MHz (almost the clock rate of some PDP-11s!) and I don't have the DEC
> Handbooks, but I'm pretty sure that even those ancient pre-TTL
> circuits operate below 350V!
>
> So... any, er, "ideas"?
>
> Best regards,
> Ross Tucker

* [pups] PDP-11 / vacuum tube interface
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-12-10  5:02 ` Kevin McQuiggin
From: Kevin McQuiggin @ 2008-12-10  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

How about using the pdp-11 to decode Morse code transmissions that you
receive on your vintage radio?  This would eliminate any issues with
interfacing to HV circuits, as you could simply run the radio's audio
output through a PLL circuit to detect tone/no tone and then read this
single bit signal on the pdp-11.  You decode the Morse code in
software.  I have code for you (in an old version of Pascal) if you'd
like.  It adapts to the Morse code speed automatically and "catches
up" to changes in Morse speed in about 5 letters maximum, as I
recall.  From an undergrad project I completed in the late 1970s!  I
could also dig out the hardware info.  Then again you might have more
fun reinventing this yourself!

Kevin

@ 2008-12-10  3:33   ` Ian King
From: Ian King @ 2008-12-10  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

In addition to the DECtalk standalone device, there was a Qbus module called DECVoice (DTC04) that was intended for telephone systems (voice response systems).  I have the module in my personal collection; unfortunately, what I've been told is that there's a lot of others' intellectual property in the software (it's a microcoded device) so it would be a serious challenge to get the code to run it - too bad.  -- Ian
[...]

CCed to: 'glowbugs' list at <glowbugs at piobaire.mines.uidaho.edu>

* [pups] PDP-11 / vacuum tube interface
       [not found] ` <5904d5730812091737g501a4b4ai98ac0862b13107be@mail.gmail.co m>
@ 2008-12-10  2:49 ` Ross Tucker
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ross Tucker @ 2008-12-10  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

@ 2008-12-10  2:41   ` Jay Jaeger
From: Jay Jaeger @ 2008-12-10  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Back in the 1970's Paul Pierce used a D/A converter on a PDP-11 at the UW
Computer Systems Lab to generate music much like early PC sound cards did
-- by combining harmonics in various ratios.  Although he happened to have
used RT-11, there is no reason why it could not be done under Unix.  (The
UW Computer Systems Lab also had a Votrax).

So, sure, you could, with an A/D and D/A converter do something like
that.  I am not sure that the various emulators have done emulation for A/D
or D/A, but in principle, it ought to be possible.

AC coupling (via a capacitor) of the input or output would remove any
concerns about the relatively high DC voltages.  Besides, input signals
ordinarily come into the grids of vacuum tube circuits by way of a
transformer.  Ditto for outputs from tube circuits.

Jay Jaeger

At 05:37 PM 12/9/2008 -0800, Carl Lowenstein wrote:
>On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Ross Tucker <rjtucke at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> > (This has got to be the strangest cross-post I've ever done.)
> >
> > I have just taken a bet from a friend to challenge my geekiness. I was
> > telling him about my love of Vintage Technology and he proposed that I
> > combine two hitherto separate hobbies and see what happens. The
> > topics: the DEC PDP-11 minicomputer (vintage: 1970s) and vacuum-tube
> > ham radios (vintage: 1960s). I do sincerely apologize for
> > cross-posting, but I am rather younger than either of these
> > technologies (vintage: 1984) and this seems like a monumental
> > challenge.
> >
> > My question for y'all: how could I possibly design+build a project
> > that uses both of these technologies? My thought is to port some radio
> > receiver Digital Signal Processing (DSP) application into PDP-11
> > assembler, compile and run it via emulator on my PC, then use it with
> > the vacuum-tube regenerative receiver that I built a few years ago...
> > Does anybody know if PDP-11 UNIXes even had the capability for a
> > "sound card"?
>
>Well, you could look at "Votrax" on Wikipedia.  Allegedly, the first
>words spoken by a Unix system at Bell Labs, using its Votrax
>synthesizer, were "file not found".
>
>Things that are now known as "sound cards" were called A:D and D:A
>converters back in those days.  And there were a fair variety of them
>available for both Unibus and Qbus systems.
>
> > Or, to get ambitious, I would LOVE to design some
> > interface circuitry between PDP-11 digital circuitry and vacuum-tube
> > electronics... The challenges are legion: the tube side of the circuit
> > operates around 350V DC levels with radio-frequency (RF) signals at 7
> > MHz (almost the clock rate of some PDP-11s!) and I don't have the DEC
> > Handbooks, but I'm pretty sure that even those ancient pre-TTL
> > circuits operate below 350V!
>
>The vacuum-tube circuits may be running from 350 VDC but somewhere
>there are low-level inputs from which everything is amplified.  Think
>microphone.
>
>     carl
>--
>     carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
>                                                  clowenstein at ucsd.edu

---
Jay R. Jaeger					The Computer Collection
cube1 at charter.net

* [pups] PDP-11 / vacuum tube interface
@ 2008-12-10  1:37 ` Carl Lowenstein
       [not found] ` <5904d5730812091737g501a4b4ai98ac0862b13107be@mail.gmail.co m>