The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Western Electric "Research Unix" License Contacts
@ 2019-11-22 14:29 David C. Brock
From: David C. Brock @ 2019-11-22 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Dear All:

I was wondering if anyone had any first-hand information about the early decisions at Western Electric to make an education license for Unix that was both royalty-free and with an extremely modest “service charge”/delivery fee, or if anyone knows the names of key people who made these decisions.

Best wishes,

David
David C. Brock
Director and Curator
Software History Center
Computer History Museum
computerhistory.org/softwarehistory<http://computerhistory.org/softwarehistory>
Email: dbrock@computerhistory.org
Twitter: @dcbrock
Skype: dcbrock
1401 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94943
(650) 810-1010 main
(650) 810-1886 direct
Pronouns: he, him, his

* Re: [TUHS] Western Electric "Research Unix" License Contacts
@ 2019-11-22 21:02 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2019-11-22 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Clem Cole:

  Al Arms
  wrote and administer the license BTW.

====

Aside for entertainment purposes: at one point, the root
password for the UNIX systems I ran in the Caltech High
Energy Physics group was derived from Al's name, but through
a level of punning indirection.  I believe Mark Bartelt
came up with it.

Later we decided to change it.  I believe I chose the
successor, which continued the UNIX-licensing scheme, but
in a different direction:

	*UiaTMoBL

The systems that had either of these passwords are long-
since turned off.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON