The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [TUHS] in memoriam - Bill English, mouse co-creator
@ 2020-08-10 22:49 Will Senn
  2020-08-11 14:01 ` Clem Cole
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Will Senn @ 2020-08-10 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 402 bytes --]

All,

About a week ago, Bill English passed away. He was a Xerox guy, who 
along with Douglas Engelbart of "Mother of all demos" fame, created our 
beloved mouse:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53638033

I remember, back in the mid-1980's being part of a focus group 
evaluating Microsoft's mouse. Wow, time flies.

-Will

-- 
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF


[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 874 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [TUHS] in memoriam - Bill English, mouse co-creator
  2020-08-10 22:49 [TUHS] in memoriam - Bill English, mouse co-creator Will Senn
@ 2020-08-11 14:01 ` Clem Cole
  2020-08-11 17:30   ` Earl Baugh
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Clem Cole @ 2020-08-11 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Senn; +Cc: TUHS main list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1278 bytes --]

Thanks, Will. A mild sigh while reading it though because history seems to
often forget Jack Hawley's role.   Truth is he did not invent it, but he
>>is<< the one that made them and got people to use them (the Xerox Alto's
used a Hawley Mouse, DEC would use it, E&S used them etc.).  As this
article points out, he made about 80% of all the mice used in the 1970s:
https://www.oldmouse.com/mouse/hawley/  - certainly the first ones I used
at CMU before we got the Altos and then after the first Alto's appeared.

Tek's Magnolia used a flavor of the Hawley mouse in 1979 [the ones with
buttons horizontal/parallel to the 'body' - the original Alto mouse the
buttons were horizontal and colored), but I don't remember what 3Rivers
PascAlto used - I think so, but I don't remember.

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 6:50 PM Will Senn <will.senn@gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> About a week ago, Bill English passed away. He was a Xerox guy, who along
> with Douglas Engelbart of "Mother of all demos" fame, created our beloved
> mouse:
>
> https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53638033
>
> I remember, back in the mid-1980's being part of a focus group evaluating
> Microsoft's mouse. Wow, time flies.
>
> -Will
>
> --
> GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF
>
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 2319 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [TUHS] in memoriam - Bill English, mouse co-creator
  2020-08-11 14:01 ` Clem Cole
@ 2020-08-11 17:30   ` Earl Baugh
  2020-08-11 17:40     ` Lawrence Stewart
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Earl Baugh @ 2020-08-11 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: TUHS main list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1521 bytes --]

The Sun 1 also had a Hawley mouse ( as an early option ), before they switched to the optical. 

Earl 

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 11, 2020, at 10:03 AM, Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:
> 
> 
> Thanks, Will. A mild sigh while reading it though because history seems to often forget Jack Hawley's role.   Truth is he did not invent it, but he >>is<< the one that made them and got people to use them (the Xerox Alto's used a Hawley Mouse, DEC would use it, E&S used them etc.).  As this article points out, he made about 80% of all the mice used in the 1970s:  https://www.oldmouse.com/mouse/hawley/  - certainly the first ones I used at CMU before we got the Altos and then after the first Alto's appeared.   
> 
> Tek's Magnolia used a flavor of the Hawley mouse in 1979 [the ones with buttons horizontal/parallel to the 'body' - the original Alto mouse the buttons were horizontal and colored), but I don't remember what 3Rivers PascAlto used - I think so, but I don't remember.
> 
>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 6:50 PM Will Senn <will.senn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> All,
>> 
>> About a week ago, Bill English passed away. He was a Xerox guy, who along with Douglas Engelbart of "Mother of all demos" fame, created our beloved mouse:
>> 
>> https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53638033
>> 
>> I remember, back in the mid-1980's being part of a focus group evaluating Microsoft's mouse. Wow, time flies.
>> 
>> -Will
>>  -- 
>> GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 2805 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [TUHS] in memoriam - Bill English, mouse co-creator
  2020-08-11 17:30   ` Earl Baugh
@ 2020-08-11 17:40     ` Lawrence Stewart
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Lawrence Stewart @ 2020-08-11 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earl Baugh; +Cc: TUHS main list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2241 bytes --]



> On 2020, Aug 11, at 1:30 PM, Earl Baugh <earl.baugh@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> The Sun 1 also had a Hawley mouse ( as an early option ), before they switched to the optical. 
> 
> Earl 
> 
> Sent from my iPhone
> 
>> On Aug 11, 2020, at 10:03 AM, Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:
>> 
>> 
>> Thanks, Will. A mild sigh while reading it though because history seems to often forget Jack Hawley's role.   Truth is he did not invent it, but he >>is<< the one that made them and got people to use them (the Xerox Alto's used a Hawley Mouse, DEC would use it, E&S used them etc.).  As this article points out, he made about 80% of all the mice used in the 1970s:  https://www.oldmouse.com/mouse/hawley/ <https://www.oldmouse.com/mouse/hawley/>  - certainly the first ones I used at CMU before we got the Altos and then after the first Alto's appeared.   
>> 
>> Tek's Magnolia used a flavor of the Hawley mouse in 1979 [the ones with buttons horizontal/parallel to the 'body' - the original Alto mouse the buttons were horizontal and colored), but I don't remember what 3Rivers PascAlto used - I think so, but I don't remember.
>> 
>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 6:50 PM Will Senn <will.senn@gmail.com <mailto:will.senn@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> All,
>> 
>> About a week ago, Bill English passed away. He was a Xerox guy, who along with Douglas Engelbart of "Mother of all demos" fame, created our beloved mouse:
>> 
>> https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53638033 <https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53638033>
>> 
>> I remember, back in the mid-1980's being part of a focus group evaluating Microsoft's mouse. Wow, time flies.
>> 
>> -Will
>>  -- 
>> GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF

Hawley built the first mice used by PARC.  The first optical mouse was invented, AFAIK, by Dick Lyon, see http://www.dicklyon.com/tech/OMouse/OpticalMouse-Lyon.pdf <http://www.dicklyon.com/tech/OMouse/OpticalMouse-Lyon.pdf>  This paper has a brief history of Xerox mechanical mice as well.

Dick is just a renaissance engineer, with contributions to hearing aids, the Fovea camera, and he later designed the Google Street View cameras. His book on Human and Machine Hearing is outstanding.

-L


[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 4258 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2020-08-11 18:43 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-08-10 22:49 [TUHS] in memoriam - Bill English, mouse co-creator Will Senn
2020-08-11 14:01 ` Clem Cole
2020-08-11 17:30   ` Earl Baugh
2020-08-11 17:40     ` Lawrence Stewart

The Unix Heritage Society mailing list

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror http://inbox.vuxu.org/tuhs

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V1 tuhs tuhs/ http://inbox.vuxu.org/tuhs \
		tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org
	public-inbox-index tuhs

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.vuxu.org/vuxu.archive.tuhs


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git