On 19.02.2022 23:39, John Cowan wrote: > On Sat, Feb 19, 2022 at 1:45 PM Rob Pike wrote: > > I undid all the macros for the v8 shell, with Steve's blessing, > before doing the key work on that shell. But no one outside cared > about any of the research Unixes after v7, > > > Lots of us would have loved to care about them and were sad that we > couldn't until they were open sourced much later. 8th ed sh (about '84) brought quite a few changes and fixes. Just naming a few: - environment variable HISTORY, pointing to a writable file, providing a history mechanism by means of "=(1)" - type is replaced by whatis, which produces output that can be re-evaluated by the shell - functions can be exported, in the same ways like variables keyword history: I always imagined that the Bourne shell would have been in much wider use even nowadays, if only it had provided line editing and a history at some point. Why not? Even Kenneth Almquist released his SVR4-like reimplementation intentionally without history. All that might have been implemented more elegant directly in the terminal I/O instead of in every program? (that is, not in a MS-DOS-like way, where every program even needs its own pager). I still wonder if it would be possible to properly provide line editing and history in the terminal I/O in general. Sven