vim has an option to undo the vi way. "set cpoptions=u". There is a full set of vi-compatible options if you want them. "set cp" turns on full vi compatiblity. Funny, I see vim as the vi that comes with UNIX, and never learned the enhancements, but I just tried it out and I don't have the compatibility option set. I don't seem to have noticed. I guess I don't do the "undo toggle" all that often.     Mary Ann On 1/8/20 6:12 PM, Clem Cole wrote: > make a new command, don't break the old one....  maybe offer a way to > map the new one over the old -- but don't make it the default. > and my lawn was lush and green before the snow came ;-) > > > > On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 9:07 PM Larry McVoy > wrote: > > On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 09:04:46PM -0500, Clem Cole wrote: > > On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 8:41 PM Bakul Shah > wrote: > > > > > The first thing I do on a new machine is to install nvi. Very > grateful to > > > Keith Bostic for implementing it. I do use multiple windows > ??? only > > > horizontal splits but that is good enough for me as all my > terminal > > > windows are 80 chars wide. Not a vim hater but never saw the need. > > > > I pretty much do the same thing. I think what I hate about vim > is that it's > > almost, vi but not the same. My fingers screw up when I use it.  For > > instance, he 'fixed' undo. > > Holy crap Clem, you need to embrace that.  His undo goes back forever. > And you can undo the undo and go forward forever. > > Not liking that puts you in the "get off my lawn" old guy camp.  Which > is fine if that's who you want to be (sometimes I'm that guy). >