The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Micnet Was: Re: Surprised about Unix System V in the 80's - so sparse!
@ 2021-03-18  9:44 Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS
From: Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS @ 2021-03-18  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

Micnet would seem to fall within my interest scope of Unix networking 1975-1985. I’ve seen it mentioned before, but I don’t have a clear picture of what it was.

There is some sysadmin material on bitsavers about it, but no info on how it worked on the inside or how it relates to other early networking.

At first glance it seems to be conceptually related to Berknet.

Does anybody here know the backstory to Micnet and/or how it worked?

Paul

* Re: [TUHS] Micnet Was: Re: Surprised about Unix System V in the 80's - so sparse!
@ 2021-03-18 11:27 ` Mike Knell via TUHS
From: Mike Knell via TUHS @ 2021-03-18 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Ruizendaal; +Cc: TUHS main list

> On 18 Mar 2021, at 10:44, Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:
>
> Does anybody here know the backstory to Micnet and/or how it worked?

The Xenix communications manual has plenty of detail on how to set it up:
http://www.nj7p.org/Manuals/PDFs/Intel/174461-001.pdf

Looks as if it built a routed network among a set of Xenix machines using
conventional serial lines, including remote login / file transfer / mail
ervices. Would have been quite a big selling point for software development
shops in the days before TCP/IP and ubiquitous connectivity, especially as
it looks as if it was decentralised and didn’t require any extra server
hardware. MMDF could route mail between Micnet and UUCP.

Mike

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP --]

* Re: [TUHS] Micnet Was: Re: Surprised about Unix System V in the 80's - so sparse!
@ 2021-03-18 12:04   ` Jim Capp
From: Jim Capp @ 2021-03-18 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Knell; +Cc: TUHS main list, Paul Ruizendaal

Yes, we used MMDF quite extensively until TCP/IP.

I remember paying $800 for a network card for a PC in the mid 90's.

Just this week, I discarded a box filled with old 10/100 cards.

@ 2021-03-20 11:50   ` Josh Good
From: Josh Good @ 2021-03-20 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 2021 Mar 18, 12:27, Mike Knell via TUHS wrote:

> > On 18 Mar 2021, at 10:44, Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:
> >
> > Does anybody here know the backstory to Micnet and/or how it worked?
>
> The Xenix communications manual has plenty of detail on how to set it up:
> http://www.nj7p.org/Manuals/PDFs/Intel/174461-001.pdf
>
> Looks as if it built a routed network among a set of Xenix machines using
> conventional serial lines, including remote login / file transfer / mail
> ervices.

This SCO technical article explains in detail how to set up Micnet
networking on SCO Unix.

https://www.scosales.com/ta/kb/103649.htmlOB

Amusingly, the article says "The System Administrator's Guide for older
versions of SCO UNIX System V/386 contained a section on the Micnet network,
but this is not present in the SCO UNIX System V Release 3.2 Version 4.0
documentation. The documentation for this network is provided here.  Users
who wish to use this network system will require this documentation."

So it seems by the early 90's SCO was indeed phasing out the old Xenix
Micnet networking scheme.

Reading that article is interesting, and Micnet seems to have been a fragile
concoction. The article even says at the end: "You can only use mail to
transfer small files.  Large files are randomly truncated by mail." Not the
most reassuring thing to read about the computer system you are using...

--
Josh Good

* Re: [TUHS] Micnet Was: Re: Surprised about Unix System V in the 80's - so sparse!
@ 2021-03-20 15:16     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2021-03-20 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Good; +Cc: tuhs

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 12:50:19PM +0100, Josh Good wrote:
> https://www.scosales.com/ta/kb/103649.htmlOB

I thought SCO had long since died.  Did they open source it and is this
company providing support?

As fun as ancient Unix is, SCO was pretty sparse and not in a good way.

* Re: [TUHS] Micnet Was: Re: Surprised about Unix System V in the 80's - so sparse!
@ 2021-03-21  0:08       ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2021-03-21  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: tuhs, Josh Good

It reads as if this company was a support company for SCO sites from
way back, and quietly carried on supporting SCO Unix sites when
Caldera blew a fuse and became The SCO Group and started some
unfathomably stupid lawsuits.

Wesley Parish

@ 2021-03-21  0:18         ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2021-03-21  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wesley Parish; +Cc: tuhs, Josh Good

Yeah, but wouldn't that mean that SCO Unix had to be open sourced?  Or did
they buy the rights?

While I mostly can't believe anyone would want SCO Unix, I do know that
they ran a lot of cash registers, or maybe they were the server, I dunno,
somehow point of sale and SCO was a thing a long time ago.  So maybe it
is a legacy thing?

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 01:08:55PM +1300, Wesley Parish wrote:
> It reads as if this company was a support company for SCO sites from
> way back, and quietly carried on supporting SCO Unix sites when
> Caldera blew a fuse and became The SCO Group and started some
> unfathomably stupid lawsuits.
>
> Wesley Parish
>
> On 3/21/21, Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 12:50:19PM +0100, Josh Good wrote:
> >> https://www.scosales.com/ta/kb/103649.htmlOB
> >
> > I thought SCO had long since died.  Did they open source it and is this
> > company providing support?
> >
> > As fun as ancient Unix is, SCO was pretty sparse and not in a good way.

--
---

* Re: [TUHS] Micnet Was: Re: Surprised about Unix System V in the 80's - so sparse!
@ 2021-03-21  1:12           ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2021-03-21  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: tuhs, Josh Good

On Saturday, 20 March 2021 at 17:18:43 -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> Yeah, but wouldn't that mean that SCO Unix had to be open sourced?
> Or did they buy the rights?

They didn't "open source" SCO, but in January 2002 they released
"ancient Unix" under a "BSD-style" license.  See
http://www.lemis.com/grog/UNIX/
But I'm sure everybody knows that.

> While I mostly can't believe anyone would want SCO Unix, I do know that
> they ran a lot of cash registers, or maybe they were the server, I dunno,
> somehow point of sale and SCO was a thing a long time ago.  So maybe it
> is a legacy thing?

I haven't been following SCO recently, but at some point they had
taken UnixWare from Novell.  I'm sure that, too, is common knowledge.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [TUHS] Micnet Was: Re: Surprised about Unix System V in the 80's - so sparse!
@ 2021-03-21  1:31             ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2021-03-21  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey; +Cc: tuhs, Josh Good

So this is just me, I'm not a fan of SCO even though I was the guy that
added TCP/IP to that OS.

SCO just felt like it was the back burner.  Sun felt like it was the
front burner that was pushing things forward.  SCO was the team that
said they had this and did nothing with it.

--
---

* Re: [TUHS] Micnet Was: Re: Surprised about Unix System V in the 80's - so sparse!
@ 2021-03-21  1:42               ` Kevin Bowling
From: Kevin Bowling @ 2021-03-21  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: tuhs, Josh Good

SCO is still around in some form.  I believe it’s mostly just a support
offering.  They converged on two products in the ‘90s:  OpenServer (SVR3)
and UnixWare (SVR4).  It seems like most people preferred or were stuck on
OpenServer while UnixWare would have eventually been a nicer system but I
don’t know first hand.  They also shipped a version of FreeBSD 10
commercially a handful of years ago.

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 6:32 PM Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:

> So this is just me, I'm not a fan of SCO even though I was the guy that
> added TCP/IP to that OS.
>
> SCO just felt like it was the back burner.  Sun felt like it was the
> front burner that was pushing things forward.  SCO was the team that
> said they had this and did nothing with it.
>
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 12:12:17PM +1100, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> > On Saturday, 20 March 2021 at 17:18:43 -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > > Yeah, but wouldn't that mean that SCO Unix had to be open sourced?
> > > Or did they buy the rights?
> >
> > They didn't "open source" SCO, but in January 2002 they released
> > "ancient Unix" under a "BSD-style" license.  See
> > http://www.lemis.com/grog/UNIX/
> > But I'm sure everybody knows that.
> >
> > > While I mostly can't believe anyone would want SCO Unix, I do know that
> > > they ran a lot of cash registers, or maybe they were the server, I
> dunno,
> > > somehow point of sale and SCO was a thing a long time ago.  So maybe it
> > > is a legacy thing?
> >
> > I haven't been following SCO recently, but at some point they had
> > taken UnixWare from Novell.  I'm sure that, too, is common knowledge.
> >
> > Greg
> > --
> > Sent from my desktop computer.
> > Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.
> > See complete headers for address and phone numbers.
> > This message is digitally signed.  If your Microsoft mail program
> > reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA
>

> --
> ---
> Larry McVoy                  lm at mcvoy.com
> http://www.mcvoy.com/lm

* [TUHS] SCO marketing FreeBSD (was: Micnet, Was: Surprised about Unix System V in the 80's - so sparse!)
@ 2021-03-21  2:38                 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2021-03-21  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Bowling; +Cc: tuhs, Josh Good

On Saturday, 20 March 2021 at 18:42:50 -0700, Kevin Bowling wrote:
> SCO is still around in some form.  ...  They also shipped a version
> of FreeBSD 10 commercially a handful of years ago.

They did?  Do you have details?  From the version number it sounds as
if it must have been at a time when most people already thought they
were dead.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [TUHS] SCO marketing FreeBSD (was: Micnet, Was: Surprised about Unix System V in the 80's - so sparse!)
@ 2021-03-21  2:43                   ` Kevin Bowling
From: Kevin Bowling @ 2021-03-21  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey; +Cc: tuhs, Josh Good

The Wikipedia article isn’t bad:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenServer

The only first hand info I can add is the money guy passed away a couple
years ago, which probably put things into limbo and I’m not sure who is at
the helm of Xinuos now.  When I last talked to their engineering director
they had non-trivial revenue supporting the old products, enough to run
several product development engineers apart from whatever else it took to
keep the lights on.

@ 2021-03-21  3:02                     ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2021-03-21  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Bowling; +Cc: TUHS main list, Josh Good

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021, 8:44 PM Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com>
wrote:

> The Wikipedia article isn’t bad:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenServer
>
> The only first hand info I can add is the money guy passed away a couple
> years ago, which probably put things into limbo and I’m not sure who is at
> the helm of Xinuos now.  When I last talked to their engineering director
> they had non-trivial revenue supporting the old products, enough to run
> several product development engineers apart from whatever else it took to
> keep the lights on.

I'd love to hear more recent news...

Warner

Ps I sent off a message to the FreeBSD developer list to see any one there
knows. Hope I'm not stepping on any toes...

@ 2021-03-21  3:04                       ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2021-03-21  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: TUHS main list, Josh Good

On Saturday, 20 March 2021 at 21:02:35 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2021, 8:44 PM Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The Wikipedia article isn???t bad:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenServer
>>
>> The only first hand info I can add is the money guy passed away a couple
>> years ago, which probably put things into limbo and I???m not sure who is at
>> the helm of Xinuos now.  When I last talked to their engineering director
>> they had non-trivial revenue supporting the old products, enough to run
>> several product development engineers apart from whatever else it took to
>> keep the lights on.
>
> I'd love to hear more recent news...

So would I.  I wonder if they're still basing on FreeBSD 10.

> Ps I sent off a message to the FreeBSD developer list to see any one
> there knows. Hope I'm not stepping on any toes...

You didn't exactly mention your sources.  Looks fine to me.

Greg
--

@ 2021-03-21  3:09                         ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2021-03-21  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey; +Cc: TUHS main list, Josh Good

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021, 9:04 PM Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, 20 March 2021 at 21:02:35 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 20, 2021, 8:44 PM Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> The Wikipedia article isn???t bad:
> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenServer
> >>
> >> The only first hand info I can add is the money guy passed away a couple
> >> years ago, which probably put things into limbo and I???m not sure who
> is at
> >> the helm of Xinuos now.  When I last talked to their engineering
> director
> >> they had non-trivial revenue supporting the old products, enough to run
> >> several product development engineers apart from whatever else it took
> >> keep the lights on.
> >
> > I'd love to hear more recent news...
>
> So would I.  I wonder if they're still basing on FreeBSD 10.
>
> > Ps I sent off a message to the FreeBSD developer list to see any one
> > there knows. Hope I'm not stepping on any toes...
>
> You didn't exactly mention your sources.  Looks fine to me.

True. I couldn't recall if Kevin has a commit bit still or not.... if need
be, I'll send a follow up...

Warner

Greg

@ 2021-03-21  6:53                         ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2021-03-21  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>> I'd love to hear more recent news...
>
> So would I.  I wonder if they're still basing on FreeBSD 10.

Well, I'm still on 10:

     FreeBSD aneurin.horsfall.org 10.4-RELEASE-p13 FreeBSD 10.4-RELEASE-p13 #0: Thu Sep 27 09:21:23 UTC 2018     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Just not enough hours in the day when one is retired...  I have a spare
(and faster) box waiting for RELEASE once I get a round tuit, based upon
my experiences with partition sizes[*] with the old box (I refuse to sling
everything under "/").

[*]
Dreadful things happen if /tmp is "tmpfs", /tmp fills up with a massive
compilation, and swap was too small...

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] SCO marketing FreeBSD (was: Micnet, Was: Surprised about Unix System V in the 80's - so sparse!)
@ 2021-03-21 11:01                   ` Harald Arnesen
From: Harald Arnesen @ 2021-03-21 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Greg 'groggy' Lehey [21.03.2021 03:38]:

> On Saturday, 20 March 2021 at 18:42:50 -0700, Kevin Bowling wrote:
>> SCO is still around in some form.  ...  They also shipped a version
>> of FreeBSD 10 commercially a handful of years ago.
>
> They did?  Do you have details?  From the version number it sounds as
> if it must have been at a time when most people already thought they
> were dead.
>
> Greg

The time here is B.C. (Before Coffee), so I had shaky fingers and sent
it only to Greg, not the list. Anyway:

<https://www.xinuos.com/products/openserver-10/>
--
Hilsen Harald