The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Login names of early Unix contributors
@ 2013-02-17 12:28 Diomidis Spinellis
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Diomidis Spinellis @ 2013-02-17 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone have a record or pointer regarding the login names of the
early Unix contributors?  A few (aho, dmr, bwk, doug) are listed in
http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/, but many others seem to be missing.

In particular I'm interested in the login names of following people:

S. R. Bourne
D. Haight
S. C. Johnson
J. F. Maranzano
L. E. McMahon
S. I. Feldman
J. F. Ossanna
M. E. Lesk
R. H. Morris
D. A. Nowitz

I guess the /etc/passwd file from a Bell Labs system of the mid 1970s
would be ideal, but even partial recollections would help me.

* [TUHS] Login names of early Unix contributors
@ 2013-02-17 17:16 ` markus schnalke
From: markus schnalke @ 2013-02-17 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

[2013-02-17 14:28] Diomidis Spinellis <dds at aueb.gr>

> In particular I'm interested in the login names of following people:
>
> S. R. Bourne

`srb' as printed in his book ``The UNIX System''.

Others will likely be able to help in a larger scale.

meillo

P.S.
Hello mailing list. :-)

* [TUHS] Login names of early Unix contributors
@ 2013-02-17 19:36 ` markus schnalke
From: markus schnalke @ 2013-02-17 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

[2013-02-17 14:28] Diomidis Spinellis <dds at aueb.gr>

> J. F. Ossanna

I found him in http://man.cat-v.org/unix-1st/1/roff

	jfo

meillo

* [TUHS] Login names of early Unix contributors
@ 2013-02-17 20:54 ` Diomidis Spinellis
From: Diomidis Spinellis @ 2013-02-17 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17/02/2013 14:28, Diomidis Spinellis wrote:
> Does anyone have a record or pointer regarding the login names of the
> early Unix contributors?
[...]
> In particular I'm interested in the login names of following people:
 > S. R. Bourne
 > D. Haight
 > S. C. Johnson
 > J. F. Maranzano
 > L. E. McMahon
 > S. I. Feldman
 > J. F. Ossanna
 > M. E. Lesk
 > R. H. Morris
 > D. A. Nowitz
[...]

I got off-list the following full reply; thank you!

@ 2013-04-04  2:24 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2013-04-04  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

About two queries on the topic.

Yes, L. L. Cherry is Lorinda Lillian Cherry.

Rudd Canaday was in on building the foundation, but not the
ground floor. When the Thompson/Ritchie/Canaday (and independently
Strachey/Stoy) file system came to be built, Rudd had completed
his visiting assignment in Computing Science Research. When he
did get a login, he was rhc, but his UID was not among the
single-digit set.

Doug McIlroy

* [TUHS]  Login names of early Unix contributors
@ 2013-03-31 14:44 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2013-03-31 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does anyone have a record or pointer regarding the login names of the
> early Unix contributors?
[...]
> In particular I'm interested in the login names of following people:
 > S. R. Bourne
 > D. Haight
 > S. C. Johnson
 > J. F. Maranzano
 > L. E. McMahon
 > S. I. Feldman
 > J. F. Ossanna
 > M. E. Lesk
 > R. H. Morris
 > D. A. Nowitz
[...]

Your correspondents have done a good job of reconstructing the
old list. Alas, I can't remember the only missing entry, Dick
Haight's login. The above list, however, wants one small
correction. Robert Morris did not have a middle name, the
"h" was a figment for filling in forms that wanted a middle
initial.
Another important name is
L. L. Cherry llc