The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] xargs - where from?
@ 2013-02-27  0:28 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2013-02-27  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok,

another trivia question.

where did xargs come from? I started with Edition 7 (Perkin Elmer
V7 + bits of BSD 2.1) and I am pretty sure it wasn't there.

I have a feeling it was printed in a book as shell script, somthing
like Bourne's book, or Kernighan and Pike but I'am not sure.

Anyone remember?

-Steve

* [TUHS] xargs - where from?
@ 2013-02-27  1:54 ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2013-02-27  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

My recollection (supported by my 1990 book) is that xargs came from PWB
for use with the Mashey shell, before we had the `command` construct.

On 02/26/2013 04:28 PM, Steve Simon wrote:
> Ok,
>
> another trivia question.
>
> where did xargs come from? I started with Edition 7 (Perkin Elmer
> V7 + bits of BSD 2.1) and I am pretty sure it wasn't there.
>
> I have a feeling it was printed in a book as shell script, somthing
> like Bourne's book, or Kernighan and Pike but I'am not sure.
>
> Anyone remember?
>
> -Steve

* [TUHS] xargs - where from?
@ 2013-02-27  2:03   ` Scot Jenkins
From: Scot Jenkins @ 2013-02-27  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mary Ann Horton wrote:
> My recollection (supported by my 1990 book) is that xargs came from PWB
> for use with the Mashey shell, before we had the `command` construct.

FreeBSD [1] and NetBSD [2] man pages (see HISTORY section)
seem to confirm PWB as the source.

[1]
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=xargs&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+9.1-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html

[2] http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?xargs++NetBSD-current

scot

* [TUHS] xargs - where from?
@ 2013-02-27  3:27   ` Sven Mascheck
From: Sven Mascheck @ 2013-02-27  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 05:54:33PM -0800, Mary Ann Horton wrote:
> My recollection (supported by my 1990 book) is that xargs came from
> PWB for use with the Mashey shell, before we had the `command`
> construct.

oh indeed, PWB/UNIX 1.0, here's even some source:
http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=PWB1/sys/source/s2/xargs.c

Sven