ASCIZ was an assembler directive used for a number of different DEC computers, and also the name for null-terminated strings. I learned it for the PDP-10, but I'm sure it existed on other machines. It is in some PDP-10 documentation I am looking at right now. Anyone who used DEC and did assembly programming would have known about it. Various system calls took ASCIZ strings. On 12/16/22 04:13, Dr Iain Maoileoin wrote: > ASCIZ > Lost in the mists of time in my mind. > > I remember running into a .asciz directive n the 70s “somewhere”. > It was an assembler directive in one of the RT11 systems??? or perhaps > the unix bootstrap and/or “.s” files - when I get some time I will go > read some old code/manuals. > > I > > Yes, it put a null byte at the end of a string. > >> On 16 Dec 2022, at 03:14, Ken Thompson wrote: >> >> asciz -- this is the first time i heard of it. >> doug -- yes. >> >> >> On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 7:04 PM Douglas McIlroy >> wrote: >> >> I think this cited quote from >> https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2001/12/11/ is urban legend. >> >>     Why do C strings [have a terminating NUl]? It’s because the PDP-7 >> microprocessor, on which UNIX and the C programming language were >> invented, had an ASCIZ string type. ASCIZ meant “ASCII with a Z >> (zero) >> at the end.” >> >> This assertion seems unlikely since neither C nor the library string >> functions existed on the PDP-7. In fact the "terminating >> character" of >> a string in the PDP-7 language B was the pair '*e'. A string was a >> sequence of words, packed two characters per word. For odd-length >> strings half of the final one-character word was effectively >> NUL-padded as described below. >> >> One might trace null termination to the original (1965) proposal for >> ASCII, https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/363831.363839. There the only >> role specifically suggested for NUL is to "serve to accomplish time >> fill or media fill." With character-addressable hardware (not the >> PDP-7), it is only a small step from using NUL as terminal padding to >> the convention of null termination in all cases. >> >> Ken would probably know for sure whether there's any truth in the >> attribution to ASCIZ. >> >> Doug >> >