The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Masscomp oops [was: Any Good dmr Anecdotes?]
@ 2018-06-30 17:37 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-06-30 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Mike Markowski

    > a cute, slender gal came into the lab. ... I typed mkfs...  On the plus
    > side, I ended up marrying the girl.

OK, so now I _have_ to hear the backstory - _when_ did you tell her what
happened?  Then? (Maybe she noticed the look on your face once you realized
what you'd done? :-) Later? Never? :-)

     Noel

* Re: [TUHS] Masscomp oops [was: Any Good dmr Anecdotes?]
@ 2018-06-30 19:13 ` Mike Markowski
From: Mike Markowski @ 2018-06-30 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 06/30/2018 01:37 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>      > From: Mike Markowski
>
>      > a cute, slender gal came into the lab. ... I typed mkfs...  On the plus
>      > side, I ended up marrying the girl.
>
> OK, so now I _have_ to hear the backstory - _when_ did you tell her what
> happened?  Then? (Maybe she noticed the look on your face once you realized
> what you'd done? :-) Later? Never? :-)
>
>       Noel

Oh, she noticed.  There are those moments of mild annoyance: "Maaan!"
and maybe even a desk slap.  Moments worthy of a 4 letter word, and then
the times like that, the jaw dropping sock in the gut feeling.

I was an EE working on a radar system, she was a computer scientist
doing coding.  She knew I did something bad by my reaction.  The lovely
Ms. Hsi's response was something like, "That's what happens when you
give an engineer root."  With a laugh, I might add.

Mike Markowski

* Re: [TUHS] Masscomp oops [was: Any Good dmr Anecdotes?]
@ 2018-06-30  2:27 ` Mike Markowski
From: Mike Markowski @ 2018-06-30  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 06/29/2018 09:31 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:
> [...] (I was not a wizard but I've lived through, and
> written up, the process of restoring a Masscomp after having done some
> variant of rm -rf / so a stupid wizard wanna be?)

That reminds me of preparing a Masscomp to bring out in the field for
radar data acquisition.  After some minor incident, I needed to run an
fsck when a cute, slender gal came into the lab.  In my flustered state
hoping to start a witty conversation I typed mkfs...  Unfortunately, no
wizards around, let alone dmr, to save the day - which turned into a
very late day.  On the plus side, I ended up marrying the girl.

Mike Markowski