The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] unix history git
@ 2014-06-02 18:41 Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2014-06-02 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

have you guys seen this?
https://github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo

(I'm not involved, just came across it by way of twitter)

--
Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | @newshtwit | thenewsh.blogspot.com

* [TUHS] unix history git
@ 2014-06-02 22:05 ` Diomidis Spinellis
From: Diomidis Spinellis @ 2014-06-02 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for bringing this up.  I first posted to the list about the
project in February 2013 [1], and some of you helpfully supplied me
login names I was looking for.

Over the past few weeks I managed to solve a difficult problem that was
puzzling me, namely how to commit each release snapshot files
incrementally, while also ensuring that git blame would work correctly
across releases.  Having solved the problem, I created a working
repository with a some key releases in it, and was waiting to tidy up a
few loose ends before coming to the list for more help.

Now hat the cat is out of the bag, here are a few things I could need
your help.

1. The login names of the following Bell Labs researchers
Charles B. Haley
E. Schmidt

2. The login names of the following Berkeley authors
A. R. Newton
Charles Haley
Colin L. Mc Master
Douglas Lanam
D. O. Pederson
Ellis Cohen
Earl T. Cohen
Ivan Maltz
Juan Porcar
Jeff Schriebman
Kurt Shoens
Len Edmondson
Olivier Roubine
R. Dowell
Ross Harvey
Richard Tuck
Robert Toxen
Susan L. Graham
Zhishun Alex Liu

3. The names corresponding to the following Berkeley ids
claudio
csvaf
denise
ecc
epg
evan
fitz
fortran
harrison
lam
opcode
orange
rt

4. The authors of a few relatively large contributions (the numbers are
the changed lines associated with the specific release and corresponding
total lines).

Research-V6
usr/source/sno 1606 1606
usr/source/cref/src 1448 1463

Research-V7
usr/src/games/chess 3985 3993
usr/games/ching.d 2366 2366
usr/src/cmd/cpp 1413 1417
usr/src/cmd/lpr 1318 1318
usr/src/libF77 1271 1271

1BSD
pcs 1800 1800
portlib 1701 1781
opcodes 1580 1580

3BSD
usr/src/sys/sys 8163 16488
usr/src/cmd/f77 5981 17252
usr/src/new/libI77uc 4379 5395
usr/src/cmd/versatec 3885 4271
usr/games/advfiles/cave 1772 1772
usr/games/quiz.k 1709 1709
usr/src/cmd/uucp 1358 7387
usr/src/sys/stand 1350 3382
usr/src/games/banner.c 1129 1129

5. Errors and omissions in the files that map file paths to authors. [2]

You can supply these things via the list, if you think they're of wider
interest, through private email, or through git pull requests.

[1] http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2013-February/002836.html
[2]
https://github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-make/blob/master/src/author-path

Diomidis Spinellis

@ 2014-06-02 22:47   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2014-06-02 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

the late rich newton had three login's. arn newton and merkin

the late don Pederson was dop

btw. dop more than anyone else really is the father of what now call the open source
movement.

@ 2014-06-03  4:07   ` Jeremy C. Reed
From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2014-06-03  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 3 Jun 2014, Diomidis Spinellis wrote:

> 2. The login names of the following Berkeley authors
> A. R. Newton

What code?

> Charles Haley

chuck (per 1BSD's winfo, sh.1, cpall.6, where.6, whoison.6)

> Douglas Lanam

What code?

> D. O. Pederson

Real name is probably "Donald". But what code?

> Ellis Cohen

cohen (per 1BSD's where.6 ; I don't think is Earl)

> Juan Porcar

What specific code file for Juan Porcar?

> Jeff Schriebman

jeff (per 1BSD's winfo)

> Kurt Shoens

kurt (per 1BSD's winfo, mvall.6, whoison.6)

> R. Dowell

Richard "Dick" Dowell of Hewlett Packard.

> Ross Harvey

UCSF Computer Graphics Laboratory

> Richard Tuck

tuck (per 2BSD netintro.n)

> 3. The names corresponding to the following Berkeley ids
> claudio

The login "dlw" included DLW as part of SCCS commit messages. The
claudio entry also says "DLW". So probably David L. Wasley.

> csvaf

Alastair Fyfe

> denise

Denise Draper

> ecc

Eric C. Cooper  (login name also is "cooper" later)

> epg
> evan
> fitz

Dan Fitzpatrick

> fortran

I don't see this one.

> harrison

Mike Harrison or  Susan Graham Harrison (except I don't know timing for
that name).

> lam

Karen Lam of BBN

> opcode

Mark Opperman

> orange

Carol Orange

> rt

I also don't find "rt"

> 1BSD
> pcs 1800 1800

One of the files says "Wirth" and note that other files have spellings
like "funktion", "prozedure", "konstant". So maybe all this is from
Wirth?

> portlib 1701 1781

I think this portlib is from Eric Allman.

> opcodes 1580 1580

I guess Thompson, Haley or Joy.

> 3BSD

I assume you are refering to parts not from 32V...

> usr/src/sys/sys 8163 16488

I guess Babaoglu, maybe Juan Porcar, and Joy. Note that the TODO
mentions code given to Joy.

> usr/src/cmd/f77 5981 17252

I think some of the improvements came from the upstream (November 1978
1.16 vs. January 1980's 2.00).

> usr/src/new/libI77uc 4379 5395

Files say originally P. Weinberger and modified by David Wasley.

> usr/src/cmd/versatec 3885 4271

sidebyside was written by Joy (per Len Edmondson personal
correspondence).

> usr/games/advfiles/cave 1772 1772

It was common that some source for games weren't included.

Says originally developed by Willie Crowther and most features added by
Don Woods (don @ su-ai). And the file says to ask "ark" for questions. I
think was in a group called MHTSA (but I don't kno what means).

> usr/src/cmd/uucp 1358 7387

Maybe Dave Nowitz?

> usr/src/sys/stand 1350 3382

Some of this is just from 32V. I can only guess the changes were from
Joy.

> usr/src/games/banner.c 1129 1129

Mark Horton (see corresponding man page!)

(As a reminder to list readers ... I am authoring a very detailed book
covering the history of Berkeley Unix. I have done interviews either by
email, phone, and some in person with over 80 of the very
early contributors.)

* [TUHS] unix history git
@ 2014-06-04  0:57     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2014-06-04  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (As a reminder to list readers ... I am authoring a very detailed book
> covering the history of Berkeley Unix. I have done interviews either by
> email, phone, and some in person with over 80 of the very
> early contributors.)

Very interesting.  Does your research extend into Sun?  Because wnj went
there and SunOS (not that Solaris stuff) was a "better BSD than BSD".
mmap, vnodes, lots of very cool OS stuff happened at Sun that did not
happen at Berkeley.  No disrespect to Berkeley, they got the ball rolling,
in some ways they were the Linux of the day, moving stuff forward while
the rest of the world stalled.

What was that Ken quote?  Something about cat went to Berkeley and came
back waving tails?  Something like that?  Whatever, I've been part of Unix
dev for a long time and I'm painfully aware of the pushback that happens
when people want to make things better.  Berkeley made Unix better.
Sun made it hugely better in my opinion.  I was there at the tail end,
you don't want to talk to me, you want to talk to wnj, rusty, moran, srk.
They did some cool stuff.
--
---

* [TUHS] unix history git
@ 2014-06-04  5:53       ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2014-06-04  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry McVoy wrote:
> What was that Ken quote?  Something about cat went to Berkeley and
> came back waving tails?

Flags.

* [TUHS] unix history git
@ 2014-06-04 18:45     ` Diomidis Spinellis
From: Diomidis Spinellis @ 2014-06-04 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you!  I have committed your contribution through
https://github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-make/commit/830221fb3d20395f723a584a48e3323ba400ffdb

Regarding your questions, please see my responses below.

Kind regards,

Diomidis Spinellis

On 03/06/2014 07:07, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jun 2014, Diomidis Spinellis wrote:
[...]
>> 2. The login names of the following Berkeley authors
>> A. R. Newton
>
> What code?

3bsd/usr/man/man1/spice.1:``Users Guide for Spice2'' by D. Dowell, A. R.
Newton,

>> Douglas Lanam
>
> What code?

3bsd/usr/man/man1/apl.1:Ken Thompson, Ross Harvey, Douglas Lanam

>> Juan Porcar
>
> What specific code file for Juan Porcar?

3bsd/usr/src/sys/sys/makefile:# Virtual UNIX Mods by Ozalp Babaoglu,
Bill Joy and Juan Porcar
3bsd/usr/src/sys/sys/makefile.bak:#     Virtual UNIX Mods by Ozalp
Babaoglu, Bill Joy and Juan Porcar
3bsd/usr/doc/vmunix/design.t:Juan Porcar