The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: will.senn@gmail.com (Will Senn)
Subject: [TUHS] v6tar from v7 on v6, too large?
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 08:38:23 -0600	[thread overview]

On 12/8/15 10:53 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>      > From: Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com>
>
>      > The problem is this, when I attempt to execute the v6tar binary on the
>      > v6 system (it works in v7) it errors out:
>      > v6tar
>      > v6tar: too large
>
> That's an error message from the shell; the exec() call on the command
> ('v6tar') is returning an ENOMEM error. Looking in the kernel, that comes from
> estabur() in main.c; there are a number of potential causes, but the most
> likely is that 'v6tar' is linked to be split I+D, and your V6 emulation is on
> a machine that doesn't have split I+D (e.g. an 11/40). If that's not it,
> please dump the a.out header of 'v6tar', so we can work out what's causing the
> ENOMEM.
>
> 	Noel
That was it. Thanks for supplying the logic trail you followed as well!
I "upgraded" to a 11/70 w/2M of RAM and FPP by passing the appropriate
SimH commands and then I folllowed the instructions in Setting up Unix
Sixth Edition to use the m45.s assist and voila, v6tar works. Thank you.

Now, when you say dump the a.out header, how do you do that?

Thanks,

Will