On 12/10/15 4:06 AM, Oliver Lehmann wrote: > > John Cowan wrote: > >> Clem Cole scripsit: >> >>> ​To be fair UNIX was the naming sinner here IMO. Unix's ld command >>> is the >>> "link editor", >> >> I thought "ld" stood for Link eDitor. :-) > > You are completely wrong! It is the load mnemonic for Z8/Z80/Z8000 > Assembler > to load the operand into the destination > > ld r1,r2 > > ;) > > Oliver As a newb who doesn't know any better than what it seems they do, in keeping with the original minimalism: "as" should have been "me" for mnemonic encoder "ld" should have been "la" for link and assemble and some obscure function in /usr/sys/ken/sys1.c or maybe even /usr/sys/dmr/sys1.c, because one guy's folder is as good as the next, should have been called pldr(), for program loader, which would have been the program 'loader'. -Will