The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Early non-Unix filesystems?
@ 2016-03-18  0:48 Warren Toomey
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2016-03-18  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's a bit off-topic, but what were non-Unix filesystems like around 1969-1970?
The PDP-7 filesystem has i-nodes (file metadata) and filenames separate
from the i-nodes. This allows hard links and thus a non-tree structured
filesystem.

This has always struck me to be one of the most important features of
the Unix filesystem: names separated from the rest of the file metadata,
and arbitrary hard links so that there is no preferred filename.

Were these features in other contemporaneous filesystems?

As a side note, the PDP-7 kernel knows about the top-level directory ("dd")
but it is agnostic to the concept of "." and "..". What that means is
that you can build a filesystem with "." and ".." links and the kernel
will deal with them as per all other links. But you can also build a
filesystem without "." or ".." and the kernel doesn't care.

There's not enough evidence (source code, papers, anecdotes) to confirm
or deny the presence of "." in the PDP-7 code that Norman scanned for us.
".." does seem to exist as it is mentioned in one source file, ds.s.
It's an intruiging mystery.

Cheers, Warren

[parent not found: <mailman.1.1458266402.23080.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>]
* [TUHS] Early non-Unix filesystems?
@ 2016-03-18  2:26 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2016-03-18  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Johnny Billquist

    > I would think that something like Multics had something similar

No, as far as I know, Multics was always 'old-style' - the directory contained
not just the name of the file, but also all the file's meta-data. Multics had
only symbolic links, I'm pretty sure.

To answer the original question, I can't think offhand of another system that
separated naming and file meta-data before Unix did it. I've always assumed
that that was one of Unix' novel ideas.

	Noel

* [TUHS] Early non-Unix filesystems?
@ 2016-03-22  0:56 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2016-03-22  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry to continue the detour from disk file systems to card trays, but this

> Walking down the corridors of Comp Sci, a student in front of me
> dropped his entire deck of approx 2000 cards, all over the floor...
> I have no idea whether he got them sorted, but I sure as hell used
> rubber bands after that!

reminded me that Vic Vyssotsky liked to say of his BLODI (block diagram)
language for simulating sample-data systems that it was the only card-safe
language. You could toss a program deck down the stairs, pick it up at the
bottom, submit it to the compiler, and it would work. That was 10 years
before the filing of the famous "natural order" patent on spreadsheets,
which ordered execution the same way.

Doug

* [TUHS] Early non-Unix filesystems?
@ 2016-03-23  1:58 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2016-03-23  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Those file structures are collected into a single, global table. The
> question is why this latter table? One could rather imagine an
> implementation where open() allocates (e.g., via malloc())

Depending on how malloc() is implemented, fragmentation can be
serious in a program that runs forever with as many frees as
allocs. Separate allocations for each item can also be costly in time.

One malloc() strategy is to divide the arena into regions,
each of which caters for blocks of a single size, so
fragmentation doesn't occur. In essence that's how the
system tables work, except that these tables have
hard limits. Now, if the tables could be reallocated
as needed ...

Another problem with per-item allocations is performance
monitoring and debugging. It's hard to see what's
going on in a well mixed dynamic storage heap.

Doug

[parent not found: <mailman.1.1458784801.4499.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>]
* [TUHS] Early non-Unix filesystems?
@ 2016-03-24 19:13 Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2016-03-24 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 March 2016 at 17:43, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 22 March 2016 at  1:11:07 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>>
>> Walking down the corridors of Comp Sci, a student in front of me
>> dropped his entire deck of approx 2000 cards, all over the floor...
>> I have no idea whether he got them sorted, but I sure as hell used
>> rubber bands after that!
>
> But that's what the sequence numbers in columns 73 to 80 are for!

I did that religiously, even with my small PL/C runs -- PL/C runs were
free.  One day, they decided to extend the code area to the entire
card.... and so I learned another feature of the card punch.

N.