The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Chaos networking in 8th edition (and in 7th)
@ 2020-05-20  3:29 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2020-05-20  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

>> I don't recall any use of Chaos in 1127.  Possibly one of
>> the nearby groups who also used the Research system needed
>> it at some point

> Speculating wildly, maybe there was a Lisp machine somewhere?

None that I can remember.

Doug

* Re: [TUHS] Chaos networking in 8th edition (and in 7th)
@ 2020-05-20  6:06 ` Rob Pike
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Rob Pike @ 2020-05-20  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug McIlroy; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I have vague memories of one in 1135 or 1138. Could just be thinking of the
Symbolics poster by Bart's desk, though, the one advertising Emacs's "over
400 easy to use commands".

-rob

@ 2020-05-20 11:43   ` William Cheswick
From: William Cheswick @ 2020-05-20 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Lillian Schwartz used a symbolics, and has missed it in recent years.

@ 2020-05-20 12:30     ` John P. Linderman
From: John P. Linderman @ 2020-05-20 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Cheswick; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Who had the symbolics Lillian used? I know it wasn't the MH wing of 113.

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 7:50 AM William Cheswick <ches@cheswick.com> wrote:

> Lillian Schwartz used a symbolics, and has missed it in recent years.
>
> > On May 20, 2020, at 2:06 AM, Rob Pike <robpike@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have vague memories of one in 1135 or 1138. Could just be thinking of
> the Symbolics poster by Bart's desk, though, the one advertising Emacs's
> "over 400 easy to use commands".
> >
> > -rob

> > > Speculating wildly, maybe there was a Lisp machine somewhere?
> >
> > None that I can remember.
> >
> > Doug

* Re: [TUHS] Chaos networking in 8th edition (and in 7th)
@ 2020-05-21 15:18   ` Dave Horsfall
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2020-05-21 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Wed, 20 May 2020, Rob Pike wrote:

> I have vague memories of one in 1135 or 1138. Could just be thinking of
> the Symbolics poster by Bart's desk, though, the one advertising
> Emacs's "over 400 easy to use commands".

My EMACS gatherings:

     EMACS - eight megs and constantly swapping

     "Enough Memory? A Concept Strange!"

     I thought it stood for Escape-Meta-Alt-Control-Shift

     Emacs Makes A Computer Slow

     Eventually Munches All Computer Storage

More contributions welcome...  I'll put 'em on my pitiful excuse for a web
page some day.

-- Dave, a committed VI user (and probably who ought to be committed)

* Re: [TUHS] Chaos networking in 8th edition (and in 7th)
@ 2020-05-21 16:29     ` Nemo Nusquam
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Nemo Nusquam @ 2020-05-21 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 05/21/20 11:18, Dave Horsfall wrote (in part):
> More contributions welcome...  I'll put 'em on my pitiful excuse for a
> web page some day.

This is a pathetic contribution as I cannot remember when or where but I
recall a cartoon from decades ago that showed someone sitting at a
terminal and telling the person behind him that this editor (emacs) hits
the disc a little too often.  The disc pack can be seen flying up from
its drive.

> -- Dave, a committed VI user (and probably who ought to be committed)

N.  (mostly emacs these days but I use both #6-)

* Re: [TUHS] Chaos networking in 8th edition (and in 7th)
@ 2020-05-21 16:59     ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2020-05-21 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Dave Horsfall wrote:
> My EMACS gatherings:
>
>     EMACS - eight megs and constantly swapping

GNU Emacs comes with a file called JOKES which has most of those.
A selection:

Emacs Means A Crappy Screen
Egregious Managers Actively Court Stallman
Generally Not Used Except by Middle Aged Computer Scientists
Emacs Makers Are Crazy Sickos

* Re: [TUHS] Chaos networking in 8th edition (and in 7th)
@ 2020-05-21 17:25   ` thomas kirk
From: thomas kirk @ 2020-05-21 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Pike; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society, Doug McIlroy

there were several symbolics machines nearby in 1125/6. no reason for any of them
to be using chaosnet, but some probably did anyway.

Rob Pike writes:
 > I have vague memories of one in 1135 or 1138. Could just be thinking of the
 > Symbolics poster by Bart's desk, though, the one advertising Emacs's "over
 > 400 easy to use commands".
 >
 > -rob

 > > > Speculating wildly, maybe there was a Lisp machine somewhere?
 > >
 > > None that I can remember.
 > >
 > > Doug

* [TUHS] EMACS (was Re: Chaos networking in 8th edition (and in 7th))
@ 2020-05-21 18:39     ` Derek Fawcus
From: Derek Fawcus @ 2020-05-21 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 01:18:39AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> My EMACS gatherings:
>
>     EMACS - eight megs and constantly swapping

The version I recall is "eats memory and constantly swaps"

DF

* Re: [TUHS] Chaos networking in 8th edition (and in 7th)
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-05-21 18:50     ` Paul Winalski
From: Paul Winalski @ 2020-05-21 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On 5/21/20, Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:

> My EMACS gatherings:
>
>      EMACS - eight megs and constantly swapping
>
>      "Enough Memory? A Concept Strange!"
>
>      I thought it stood for Escape-Meta-Alt-Control-Shift
>
>      Emacs Makes A Computer Slow
>
>      Eventually Munches All Computer Storage
>
> More contributions welcome...  I'll put 'em on my pitiful excuse for a web
> page some day.

Escape-Meta-Alt-Control-Shift

-Paul W.

* Re: [TUHS] Chaos networking in 8th edition (and in 7th)
@ 2020-05-19  3:41 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2020-05-19  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Wilson; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2020-05-18 21:52 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2020-05-18 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Paul Ruizendaal:

  Was Chaos networking in use at the labs, or is it just an artifact
  present on the surviving tape?

===

I don't recall any use of Chaos in 1127.  Possibly one of
the nearby groups who also used the Research system needed
it at some point, perhaps before my time (I arrived in
August 1984).

I certainly don't remember anyone raising objections to
discarding it.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Chaos networking in 8th edition (and in 7th)
@ 2020-05-18 21:01 Paul Ruizendaal
From: Paul Ruizendaal @ 2020-05-18 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list