The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] earliest paint program for X
@ 2016-07-11 22:52 Mark Longridge
From: Mark Longridge @ 2016-07-11 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, I hope this question isn't too off-topic...

I was looking through the X10R3 source tree trying to find the
earliest paint program for X. I wasn't able to see anything that
looked like a paint program.

Xpaint might be the oldest, wikipedia says the first version appeared in 1989.

Searching for xpaint on tuhs returned no matches, but I saw that
4.3BSD-Tahoe had some old X programs but nothing listed there seemed
to be a paint program.

Maybe xgedit? It's listed as a "simple graphic editor for the X window
system", but I don't know if it really qualifies as a paint program.

Mark

* [TUHS] earliest paint program for X
@ 2016-07-11 23:04 ` Ronald Natalie
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Ronald Natalie @ 2016-07-11 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

There might have been a simpler icon editor.   My memory of the early X stuff is pretty hazy.

@ 2016-07-11 23:05 ` Joerg Schilling
From: Joerg Schilling @ 2016-07-11 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Longridge <cubexyz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I hope this question isn't too off-topic...
>
> I was looking through the X10R3 source tree trying to find the
> earliest paint program for X. I wasn't able to see anything that
> looked like a paint program.
>
> Xpaint might be the oldest, wikipedia says the first version appeared in 1989.

Island paint exists since aprox. 1986, I am not sure if/when it has been ported
from SunView to X.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin

* [TUHS] earliest paint program for X
@ 2016-07-11 23:05   ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2016-07-11 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 07:04:18PM -0400, Ronald Natalie wrote:
> There might have been a simpler icon editor.   My memory of the early X stuff is pretty hazy.

My memory of early X stuff is porting it to everything.  Masscomps, Suns,
IBM RTs.  Port, port, port.

* [TUHS] earliest paint program for X
@ 2016-07-11 23:08     ` Ronald Natalie
From: Ronald Natalie @ 2016-07-11 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was a server guy.   I did one of the first cfb drivers for a 24 bit (RasterOps) framebuffer.   Did some extension work for HP, wrote two servers for IBM (on the i860 no less) and one for Dome Imaging.

@ 2016-07-11 23:36   ` Random832
From: Random832 @ 2016-07-11 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016, at 19:04, Ronald Natalie wrote:
> There might have been a simpler icon editor.   My memory of the early X
> stuff is pretty hazy.

"bitmap" has a copyright (MIT) date of 1985. It does appear to be geared
to icon editing, the manpage says it has trouble with sizes greater than
99x99.

* [TUHS] earliest paint program for X
@ 2016-07-11 23:56     ` Ronald Natalie
From: Ronald Natalie @ 2016-07-11 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, that sounds like the thing I’m remembering.

@ 2016-07-12  1:17   ` Lawrence Stewart
From: Lawrence Stewart @ 2016-07-12  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)