wrote: > I used to think it was more so right place at the right time, but really that blank slate seems to have been a big thing too, just as there has been some ancient bugs in BSD like the 33 year yacc bug (http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20080708155228) and a 25 year BSD bug (http://www.osnews.com/story/19731/The-25-Year-Old-UNIX-Bug). Well, this is nothing special. Last year, I fixed several aprox. 35 year old bugs in the Bourne Shell while doing automated testing after POSIX support was ready. One was related to the rewrite that was needed to work around the design bug in the MC68000 but the other three were interesting: - Fixed a bug introduced in 1981 with SYSTEM III that caused continue large-number to break and not to continue the outer loop. - Fixed a bug - present since 1977 - that caused an interactive shell that calls "for i in 1 2 3 ; do echo $i; break 0; done" stop working. - Fixed a bug introduced in 1981 with SYSTEM III that caused cat 0<<-EOF not to strip leading TABs. Jörg -- EMail:joerg at schily.net (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin joerg.schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/ URL: http://cdrecord.org/private/ http://sourceforge.net/projects/schilytools/files/