Lyndon Nerenberg wrote: > > > On Mar 9, 2017, at 7:45 PM, Dan Cross wrote: > > > > It seems that there was a whole slew of protocols at one time. > > g: the original > G: a later (HDB?) SVRx version that did 256 byte packets and a seven packet window > f: X.25 optimized printable-characters-only > x: similar to above? > z: Doug Evans wrote this as an alternative to 'f' back when 8-bit paths were not everywhere yet. > i: 'internet' stream the data. > > g, G, and f, we can get definitions for easily enough I think. For 'z' I can track down Doug, but Taylor UUCP should have the details. I have: g: The original protocol from the 1970s G: enhanced g-protocol introduced by Svr4 d: Protocol for DataKit connections. e: Protocol for TCP links from HDB UUCP, similar to t-protocol. BSD UUCP used an implementation from Arne Ludwig. f: Seven Bit protocol with checksums on the entire file at a time No protocol flow control, but XON/XOFF It only uses the characters between \040 and \176 (' '..'~') Written by Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam, Sep 1984 Modified for X.25 by Robert Elz, Melbourne Univ, Mar 1985 F: flow control protocol similar to f-protocol. Written by Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam, Sep 1984 Modified for X.25 by Robert Elz, Melbourne Univ, Mar 1985 Probably created from f-protocol by Carsten Borman TU-Berlin or by me (Jörg Schilling) h: A protocol similar to the t-protocol with no error checking. Apparently used for HST modems. s: High 's'peed protocol based on the g-protocol. Variable block sizes 32..4096 bytes, up to 7 windows Written by me (Jörg Schilling) t: Protocol for TCP links from BSD Most likely from Rick Adams x: Protocol for X.25 links Jörg -- EMail:joerg at schily.net (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin joerg.schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/ URL: http://cdrecord.org/private/ http://sourceforge.net/projects/schilytools/files/