One thing that was supported on PCC for many years was the ability to generate GE/Honeywell 6-bit character constants, using the back quote (`) character.  I remember trying it in the late 80's on a shipping Sun machine and seeing that it was still present in the grammar, and, as nearly as I could remember, still produced the correct answer. Steve ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lars Brinkhoff" To:"Warner Losh" Cc:"Steve Johnson" , "The Eunuchs Hysterical Society" Sent:Tue, 30 Oct 2018 08:16:17 +0000 Subject:Re: [TUHS] Archaic yacc C grammar Warner Losh wrote: > Steve Johnson wrote: > We actually had a pretty good system for making changes like > that. First, we would change the compiler to accept both the old and > the new. Then we would produce a warning that on a particular date > the old would no longer work. Then we made the old an error and > printed a message about how to fix it. > > How long a transition period did you typically have? I heard the V7 compiler still supports old B style initialization "int x 42;". So in some cases, a really long time.