On 12/24/21 7:56 AM, Clem Cole wrote: > > > On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 11:39 PM Will Senn wrote: > > All, > > Are there any bootable media available for any SVR 2 systems > available online? > > I'm interested in learning what it is specifically about the SVR2 > system that you are curious?  As Warner pointed out, the reference > system ISA for the folks in Summit, NJ started changing from the > PDP-11 to VAX at that point.  By SVR3 it became a WE32000 and by > SVR4.2 it was the Intel 386. Clem, Ha! I'm curious by nature. I recently was sent a book that references SVR2 and that is enough impetus for me to want to try it out 'for real' :). Shiny object, for sure. > > Besides the ISA changes for the core kernel and the collection of > supported user space programs, SYS V took a number twists and turns > [for different reasons, some in hindsight, proved questionable] - but > nonetheless. > > Other than the native support for the Vax, IIRC there really was not a > lot special in SVR2 - while SVR1 and SVR3 [and later SVR4.2] were > actually substantially different from their predecessors. Which is why I went looking for SVR2 - substantive (although to me completely opaque) differences from SVR1 and SVR3. The book mentions SVR2, not SVR1 or SVR3, though, I'm sure it applies equally well to those as well, I'm just a sucker for the closest experience I can get without driving myself off the rails trying to get things working. Turns out it isn't horrible, this time. Angelo's Vax 780 version works about like v6/v7 in SIMH - stupid # and @ stuff, but I'm guessing I can change it without mucking about in the source this time. - stty'll prolly do it. Later, Will