We had just a little more than 60 people involved in the /usr/group effort, with David Buck, Don Kretsch and Eric Petersen as co-editors. The IEEE POSIX POSIX standards effort had hundreds of participants. But we did have all of the major companies involved in the UNIX market participating. Heinz On 6/27/2024 7:34 AM, Clem Cole wrote: > > > On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 7:59 AM Dan Cross wrote: > > > A way to verify this would be to look for attendee lists from early > POSIX meetings, though I'm having trouble locating them. > > > I was the original editor (more in a minute), and I believe I have an > early draft on my Masscomp machine, which is currently not powered up. > I'll try to add it to my to-do list to bring this online. The first > section has an attendee list. > > I also have (in a box in my attic) some of the original handouts, > including minutes.  That is already on my to-do list. > > My initialsearch turned up this document, a 1995 retrospective > from Hal > Jespersen, where he credits Stallman for coining the name "POSIX": > https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/210308.210313. > >  I just read it. Much is correct, but that document has numerous > errors, including the transition from /usr/group to IEEE (which Heinz > and I were involved in - Hal was not). I'll send a number of > updates/corrections later.For instance, the C standard was not related > to the UNIX standard and was not originally championed by /usr/group - > but rather the PC-based folks. > > Remember, this document came about before the age of laptops. We made > changes and suggestions during the meetings. The /usr/group document > was edited offlineafter the meetings (Heinz may remember who did that > work).  We started the same process by the time we transitioned to > IEEE.  Since the meetings were originally held currently with a > /usr/group // UNIForum or USENIX event, they were always near one of > the Masscomp field offices.  I told Jim that I could (and did) arrange > for a loaner Masscomp system with a number of Wyse-60 terminals to be > there for our meeting. > > By the way, Jim was worried that all documents were following the IEEE > rules of being numbered and correctly indexed. But by editing at the > meeting and starting with the /usr/group document, we did turn it into > an IEEE-style draft in under two years.  As a result, I ended up as > the defacto editor for the first few drafts.  As I said, I believe I > have an early copy (in troff, of course) on my Masscomp box. > > Clem > ᐧ