The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Proliferation of book print styles
@ 2024-06-02  2:31 Will Senn
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Will Senn @ 2024-06-02  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS

Today, as I was digging more into nroff/troff and such, and bemoaning
the lack of brevity of modern text. I got to thinking about the old days
and what might have gone wrong with book production that got us where we
are today.

First, I wanna ask, tongue in cheek, sort of... As the inventors and
early pioneers in the area of moving from typesetters to print on
demand... do you feel a bit like the Manhattan project - did you maybe
put too much power into the hands of folks who probably shouldn't have
that power?

But seriously, I know the period of time where we went from hot metal
typesetting to the digital era was an eyeblink in history but do y'all
recall how it went down? Were you surprised when folks settled on word
processors in favor of markup? Do you think we've progressed in the area
of ease of creating documentation and printing it making it viewable and
accurate since 1980?

I didn't specifically mention unix, but unix history is forever bound to
the evolution of documents and printing, so I figure it's fair game for
TUHS and isn't yet COFF :).

Later,

Will