On 2018-02-04 3:05 PM, Dan Cross wrote: > On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:21 PM, Ron Natalie > wrote: > > > None of these APIs is native to NT, they're implemented on top of it. > > I think only at boot you can run code that uses the NT API directly. > Amusingly, I have a device in my airplane that runs NT4 without any > Windows > graphical API on it.   You can see the thing printing the NT4 > startup and > build number when you power it on and it will BSOD. > > > BSOD on an airplane? That sounds kind of scary. > > One time I was poking around a US Navy landing craft after coming off an > amphibious assault ship and somehow found myself down in the engine > room. The computer controlling either the engines or the screws was > running some variant of Windows. It wasn't my bailiwick at the time (I > was a Marine officer; I wasn't even *supposed* to be there ... but I was > curious and pretty much had the run of the boat as long as I didn't > touch anything) but it sort of scared me. You might remember this: https://www.wired.com/1998/07/sunk-by-windows-nt/ --Toby > > I actually worked with the n10 and i860.   IBM build a 4 processor i860 > card.   We ported the 370/386 AIX to it. > > > That actually sounds kind of cool. > > The only non x86 chip I worked with NT on was the iTanium (or as we > called > it the iTanic).   I might have had an NT Alpha around but we pretty much > were an OSF/1 shop at the time. > > > I think it was Lockheed Martin that ended up buying a ton of Alphas to > run NT for Exchange server. Shoulda stuck with sendmail.... > >         - Dan C. >