All warnings are worthy of my consideration. I will usually learn something about my compiler, my program, and often both. The compiler's messages are valuable feedback in my quality work-style loop. On 01/03/2023 12:19 PM, Warner Losh wrote: > > > On Tue, Jan 3, 2023, 10:09 AM Paul Winalski > wrote: > > On 1/2/23, Clem Cole > wrote: > > > > FWIW: In my start-up times, under the same rules of being > disciplined, as > > VP of Engineering, I insisted, all C and C++ code was required to > > 'flex-e-lint' warning clean. I gave my folks a 3-week week > slip to clean > > everything up. I was cursed during that time. But guess > what, the > > outstanding bug list dropped to ⅒ of what it had been. Created > quite a few > > true believers. And we made those 3 weeks back before we were done. > > This was also the policy in DEC's compiler and software development > tools groups. This was mainly VMS stuff and we didn't have flex and > lint, but as Clem can attest the C and C++ compilers had very > extensive warning capabilities. It was group policy that all code had > to compile cleanly, without triggering diagnostic messages, before > check-in was allowed. Once you get through the initial cleanup of > existing code, this policy pays back big time in avoidance of nasty > Heisenbugs. > > > Not all fixes to appease warnings fix anything. But enough do that > it's worth it. > > The one caveat here is that people must understand the warning and > that any change makes things better. There is nothing worse than just > tossing a cast in to brute force it, only to later discover it's the > wrong cast or you needed a different semantic change. > > Warner >