Hi, I've found myself wondering about partitions inside of BSD disk labels. Specifically, when and where was the convention that "a" is root, "b" is swap, etc? I also understand the "c" partition to be the entire disk, unless it isn't, at which point it's the entire slice (BIOS / MBR partition) containing the BSD disklabel and "d" is the entire disk. I also found something last night that indicated that OpenBSD uses disk labels somewhat differently than FreeBSD. Aside: This is one of the dangers of wondering how something curious came to be and why it came to be when working on 10-15 year old FreeBSD systems. -- Grant. . . .