The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] LoC now involved with saving digital history
@ 2003-02-20 17:24 Robertdkeys
From: Robertdkeys @ 2003-02-20 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe it might be played from the angle that a US mirror could
be granted funds in some manner, to complement the down
under repository.   Just a wild thought...

Bob Keys

* [TUHS] LoC now involved with saving digital history
@ 2003-02-19 15:29 Ian King
From: Ian King @ 2003-02-19 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oops, did that go out in HTML?  Sorry, new install of Outlook....

To: wgm at telus.net; tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org

As I am reading the details of this, it seems that they are at a
planning
stage,
and wanting to coordinate the Library of Congress centrally with other
federal and non-federal agencies and organizations to develop the
"network" of libraries and repositories for these materials.  It was not
clear what funding was available to non-federal agencies.  My
expectation is that the PUPS and TUHS efforts ought to be somewhere in
the overall thicket of the Library of Congress effort.  We need to find
out more about this legislation and potential work and funding.  It
sounds very interesting...

Spinning the ol' propeller-headed beanie at full speed, and thinking out

loud....

Bob Keys

* [TUHS] LoC now involved with saving digital history
@ 2003-02-19 15:26 Ian King
From: Ian King @ 2003-02-19 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-02-19  7:41 Robertdkeys
From: Robertdkeys @ 2003-02-19  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-02-19  7:08 Robertdkeys
From: Robertdkeys @ 2003-02-19  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wild long shot.... I used to write grants for this kind of thing.   Find out
more
info and point me to where the granting info is and lets make a collective
grunt to see if something is possible.  Heck, all kinds of funds are available
if you submit the right kinds of proposals.  Yeah, I know, it is a pipedream,
but.....(:+}}...

Bob Keys
(stirring the history pot, gently.....)

* [TUHS] LoC now involved with saving digital history
@ 2003-02-19  5:31 Wm. G. McGrath
From: Wm. G. McGrath @ 2003-02-19  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Howdy all,

	Is it possible that the Unix Archive might be able to get a little
funding or assistance from the Library of Congress? This recent
story in the Washington Post suggests that there is now a lot of
money available in theory at least. I wonder if we would qualify for
funding?

	bill

 Plan Approved to Save U.S. Digital History -
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10278-2003Feb14.html?referrer=email
The Library of Congress announced the next step in the effort to
preserve that history: congressional approval of its plan for the
National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation
Program.