On 6/20/24 4:12 PM, ron minnich wrote: > Personally, the autoconfig process does not fill me with confidence, and it > was recently responsible for a very serious security problem. And, > autoconfig doesn't work: I've lost track of how many times autoconf has > failed for me. In general, in my experience, autoconf makes for less > portability, not more. I'd be interested in some examples of this. I've had pretty decent success with autoconf-based portability. The one issue is cross-compiling between systems with different versions of libc (glibc vs. musl, for instance). Tools that run natively on the build platform have to be very portable, since they can't use config.h (which is for the target system). -- ``The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.'' - Chaucer ``Ars longa, vita brevis'' - Hippocrates Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU chet@case.edu http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/