On 2/1/22 6:22 PM, Clem Cole wrote: > Dan/Will - I think we need the political way back machine ...  below... > That's a lot of history. Thanks. Always with the money, I thought it was strictly altruism that drove the pioneers :). > Then again, if the idea is running BSD on a Vax, Ultrix 4.5 is even > better, and has all the DEC languages and layered products. Wow. I will dig into this. I like the layered stuff. I thought you had to do RT11/RSTSE/TOPS/etc to have that. I had no idea it was available on a *nix platform. > > 4. Is Quasijarus0c end of the line for VAX 4.xBSD? Why does > tuhs only have Quasijarus0 and 0a, was there something wrong > with 0b and 0c? > > > Well, no. Both OpenBSD and NetBSD ported back to the VAX, but the > OpenBSD effort has ended due to lack of hardware and interest. It > appears that NetBSD is still being actively developed on the VAX, > however, so it's possible to get a "modern" 4.4BSD derived system > on that architecture. > > Right - either current NetBSD or the Ultrix 4.5 is what I would do.  > If NetBSD will run the Ultrix layered products, that would be the > system with the most; but I'm not sure if that will work.   Ultrix for > instance supports DEC (VMS) FTN - which I know you (Will) have been > messing with.   That is the best (most complete) FTN for Vaxen.  I > believe there is Ada, PL/1 and maybe even Basic2 and Cobol/RPG [I > think most of not all of the VMS languages for the VAX were released > on Ultrix but frankly, I don't remember]. Sweet. Off to hunt down Ultrix 4.5 :). Will