The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] UNIXabilia
@ 2022-12-15 22:13 James Frew
From: James Frew @ 2022-12-15 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Having recently emeritated, I'm clearing out my university office and
giving away hundreds of books. It occurs to me that some of them may be
of interest to some of the folks on this list. (Before you ask, no, you
can't have my original printed-on-Kleenex versions of the Lions notes...)

Most of the books are listed here:
https://www.librarything.com/catalog/james.frew . They're (alas) utterly
uncategorized, but include a fair amount of UNIX, C, and general CS stuff.

I also have some manuals and USENIX conference proceedings even
LibraryThing couldn't locate; they're listed in the attached Markdown
file. None of these proceedings are online at usenix.org, so I'd be
stoked if someone volunteered to scan them.

If you want any of them, let me know, and we'll figure out some way to
reimburse me for shipping them. (No charge for the "content".) Or if
you're close enough to Santa Barbara, come and get 'em.

Cheers,
/Frew <https://purl.org/frew>

[-- Attachment #2: TUHS_books.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2194 bytes --]

USENIX & related conferences proceedings

| when    | what                           | where             |
| ------- | ------------------------------ | ----------------- |
| 1982-07 | USENIX, /usr/group, STUG       | Boston, MA        |
| 1983-01 | USENIX, /usr/group, STUG       | San Diego, CA     |
| 1985-01 | USENIX                         | Dallas, TX        |
| 1985-06 | USENIX                         | Portland, OR      |
| 1985-12 | 2nd Computer Graphics Workshop | Monterey, CA      |
| 1986-01 | USENIX                         | Denver, CO        |
| 1986-06 | USENIX                         | Atlanta, GA       |
| 1986-11 | 3rd Computer Graphics Workshop | Monterey, CA      |
| 1987-01 | USENIX                         | Washington, DC    |
| 1987-10 | 4th Computer Graphics Workshop | Cambridge, MA     |
| 1987-11 | C++ Workshop                   | Santa Fe, NM      |
| 1988-06 | USENIX                         | San Francisco, CA |
| 1988-10 | C++                            | Denver, CO        |
| 1989-01 | USENIX                         | San Diego, CA     |
| 1990-06 | USENIX                         | Anaheim, CA       |

UNIX System V Documenter's Workbench Release 2.0 manuals (comb-bound)

| ATT #   | title                                     |
| ------- | ----------------------------------------- |
| 310-004 | User's Guide                              |
| 310-005 | Technical Discussion and Reference Manual |
| 310-006 | Product Overview                          |
| 310-007 | Release Notes                             |
| 310-008 | Handbook                                  |
| 310-009 | Handbook for New Users                    |

4.3 BSD documentation set (comb-bound)

| TLA  | title                                      |
| ---- | ------------------------------------------ |
| URM  | User Reference Manual (man [167])          |
| USD  | User Supplementary Documents               |
| PRM  | Programmer Reference Manual (man [2-5])    |
| PS1  | Programmer Supplementary Documents, part 1 |
| PS2  | Programmer Supplementary Documents, part 2 |
| SMM  | System Manager's Manual (includes man 8)   |
|      | Master Index                               |

* [TUHS] Re: UNIXabilia
@ 2022-12-15 22:41 ` segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2022-12-15 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Frew; +Cc: tuhs

Wow, there's a lot of good stuff here James! I would definitely have an interest in doing some preservation, although I'm holding off on taking on new work at least until March, I'm going to be in the midst of a move here soon and don't want something priceless getting lost in the mail.

Just to speak to my interest, absolutely anything AT&T of course, so the DWB 2.0 comb bound documents and the AT&T SVR3 (grey manuals with UNIX earth and trace lines) set. That represents one of the holes in my System V documentation archival efforts actually, I've got just about the full blue SVR4 set as well as the full SVR1 set, but have avoided SVR2 and 3 since there's just such a diversity of documentation in that timeframe and I need to work through some of my other scan jobs before searching around for those. However, if you've already got them and are offering them precisely for preservation reasons, then our interests here line up pretty well.

Also, looking through your list, you've also got Organick's Multics book. I'd love a copy of that for selfish reasons, so if you still have that by March. Could probably find it on eBay but I'd love supporting another TUHS member.

I'd say if it all lines up that you still have the USENIX stuff, any AT&T/Bell literature, and the Multics book by the first couple weeks of March, let's circle back around and talk. Otherwise, if someone jumps on this for preservation purposes before, I'll gladly contribute to the funds if it means this stuff gets scanned and archived (and I don't have to be the one to do it :P)

- Matt G.
> Having recently emeritated, I'm clearing out my university office and giving away hundreds of books. It occurs to me that some of them may be of interest to some of the folks on this list. (Before you ask, no, you can't have my original printed-on-Kleenex versions of the Lions notes...)
>
> Most of the books are listed here: https://www.librarything.com/catalog/james.frew . They're (alas) utterly uncategorized, but include a fair amount of UNIX, C, and general CS stuff.
>
> I also have some manuals and USENIX conference proceedings even LibraryThing couldn't locate; they're listed in the attached Markdown file. None of these proceedings are online at usenix.org, so I'd be stoked if someone volunteered to scan them.
>
> If you want any of them, let me know, and we'll figure out some way to reimburse me for shipping them. (No charge for the "content".) Or if you're close enough to Santa Barbara, come and get 'em.
>
> Cheers,
> /[Frew](https://purl.org/frew)

* [TUHS] Re: UNIXabilia
@ 2022-12-15 23:02 ` b4udv8
From: b4udv8 @ 2022-12-15 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I will PROUDLY take The C Programming Language book off your hands!

PayPal ok?

Cheers!

Don Harrison

@ 2022-12-15 23:37   ` G. Branden Robinson