The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] It all works!!
@ 2002-08-23 10:15 Fred N. van Kempen
From: Fred N. van Kempen @ 2002-08-23 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I suggest you now find a multi-port beer card, insert that into
a free slot, add /dev/beer to the kernel, and abuse it lots... :)

(rumor is, that 2.9bsd has much more space available for /dev/beer
buffers, though, so if 2.11 doesn't allow enough of it, just take
the plunge and downgrade to 2.9... ;-)

--f

* [pups] It all works!!
@ 2002-08-27 11:54 Fred N. van Kempen
From: Fred N. van Kempen @ 2002-08-27 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ian King wrote:

> > I suggest you now find a multi-port beer card, insert that into a
free
> > slot, add /dev/beer to the kernel, and abuse it lots... :)
> >
> > (rumor is, that 2.9bsd has much more space available for /dev/beer
> > buffers, though, so if 2.11 doesn't allow enough of it, just take
the
> > plunge and downgrade to 2.9... ;-)
> > Should he implement uubp?
Well, that's kinda store-and-forward.  A bit dated, innit?  Why
not go the modern way and go straight for the splattering-type
mbdp?  For those who dunno: Multicast Beer Distribution Protocol.

One catch... given the kind of stuff we want distributed, we'd better
not have any (memory and/or session) leaks...

--f

* [pups] It all works!!
@ 2002-08-27 11:12 ` Robin Birch
From: Robin Birch @ 2002-08-27 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well done Kevin,
I've never tried the route that you have gone down, always having had
the luxury of distributions on tapes and a working tape drive.

Cheers

Robin
In message <IJECIIPFALOPEJDGENLAGEFJDDAA.kevin at ps8.co.uk>, Kevin Murrell
<kevin at ps8.co.uk> writes
>Needed to tell someone, so I thought I would tell all of you!
>
>My PDP11/73 now has BSD2.11 installed and working.  I added a DEQNA card,
>rebuilt the kernel and now ping, telnet, ftp et al is working.
>
>The joy of telneting into my '11 from a Windoze machine is beyond words!
>
>Many thanks to Warren, Fred and Joe for all the help and advice.
>
>Regards
>

>Kevin

* [pups] It all works!!
@ 2002-08-22 13:04 Kevin Murrell