The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] Mini UNIX (V6) and V7 tapes found
@ 2003-12-02  3:01 Fred N. van Kempen
From: Fred N. van Kempen @ 2003-12-02  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

I wrote:

> Looks liek I ran into a bunchof really old and useful tapes
> here.  Two tapes come from Bell Labs, and seem to contain the
> official Mini UNIX (Sixth Edition) and the official UNIX,
> Seventh Edition.

Hmm.  Well, the V7 tape is saved... took a bunch of retries, but
I managed to grab all of it.

The V6 (Mini-UNIX) tape was OK, but some !$%(!@#$%@# must have run
out of blank tapes, and decided to use this one.. it contains binary
data.  Major bummer, sorry :(

Still working on the 2.8BSD tape, which needs more work.  I also
have to work on Christian Corti's tapes.. now that I have a working
800bpi SCSI drive, I actually *can* :)  [thanks Walter!]

Images will be sent off to the PUPS archive.

Cheers,
	Fred

* [pups] Mini UNIX (V6) and V7 tapes found
       [not found] <7AD18F04B62B7440BE22E190A3F7721409E4EF@mwsrv04.microwalt.n l>
@ 2003-11-30  3:20 ` Jay Jaeger
From: Jay Jaeger @ 2003-11-30  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

FYI, the archives should already have Mini-Unix 6th Edition.  (I provided
the "rescue" copy).  As far as I know, it was an unaltered original, so you
ought to be able to compare yours with that one.

Jay Jaeger

At 12:04 AM 11/30/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Looks liek I ran into a bunchof really old and useful tapes
>here.  Two tapes come from Bell Labs, and seem to contain the
>official Mini UNIX (Sixth Edition) and the official UNIX,
>Seventh Edition.
>
>Dennis (dmr): can you verify that Bell wrote these on magtapes
>from Graham Magnetics, with blue inside label?  All the stickers
>and such seem "real".  The V7 tape is dated 10/15/79, the V7 one
>is from 1977.
>
>Images available on request.. still wanna know if these are real
>ones, or locally-modified ones.
>
>Cheers,
>         Fred

---
Jay R. Jaeger					The Computer Collection
cube1 at charter.net

* [pups] Mini UNIX (V6) and V7 tapes found
@ 2003-11-29 23:04 Fred N. van Kempen