The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Lawrence Stewart <stewart@serissa.com>
To: Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com>
Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Archeology: AberMUD, BCPL, ec.
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 14:34:57 -0500	[thread overview]

I was at CRL from 1989 to 1994.  I sent an inquiry to our informal mailing list.

We had written an audio server along the lines of the X server (http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/Compaq-DEC/CRL-93-8.pdf) and Tom Levergood wrote an application called Store24 to keep a rolling 24 history of WBUR (local NPR station).  We thought about using speech recognition to build a searchable index for it.

The next idea was to do the same thing for Video, perhaps using the closed captioning feed to develop the index.  Dave Wecker (now at Microsoft Research) reports working on extracting data from NPR news streams and it would find the appropriate audio or video clip.  He’s not sure he published that.

Jim Gettys cites http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/Compaq-DEC/CRL-99-2.pdf (Indexing Multimedia for the Internet) and notes that all the DEC techreports are hidden away at http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/ <http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/>. Choose “Browse by year” and select Compaq/DEC

-Larry