Maybe more accurate, "cannot be *overstated*"? :-) - Mike Markowski On 02/24/2018 07:03 PM, Charles H Sauer wrote: > In the early 70s I became aware of Shannon, the Nyquist Theorem, and > digital audio, and naively started collecting TTL parts to try to build > my own music computer (I still have bags of those parts in the garage...). > > From > http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/etext/digital_audio/chapter5_digital.shtml: > "Twenty years later, Claude Shannon, mathematician and early computer > scientist, also working at Bells Labs and then M.I.T., developed a proof > for the Nyquist theory (thereby making it a theorem)*. The importance of > their work to information theory, computing, networks and digital audio > cannot be understated." > > CHS > > -----Original Message----- From: Dave Horsfall > Sent: Friday, February 23, 2018 3:44 PM > To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society > Subject: [TUHS] RIP Claude Shannon > > We lost Claude Shannon on this day in 2001.  He was a mathematician, > electrical engineer, and cryptographer; he is regarded as the "father" of > information theory, and he pioneered digital circuit design.  Amongst > other things he built a barbed-wire telegraph, the "Ultimate Machine" (it > reached up and switched itself off), a Roman numeral computer ("THROBAC"), > the Minivac 601 (a digital trainer), a Rubik's Cube solver, a mechanical > mouse that learned how to solve mazes, and outlined a chess program > (pre-Belle).  He formulated the security mantra "The enemy knows the > system", and did top-secret work in WW-2 on crypto and fire-control > systems. >